Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CHNEWS to 80360, or email
What's on in Craven
3:04pm Thursday 26th July 2012 in Leisure
Skipton : The Mart Theatre will play host to Tall Stories and their latest stage show, The Snail and the Whale, on Saturday.
Aimed at youngsters aged from four, it combines storytelling, live music and lots of laughs.
On Sunday, the stage is taken over by comedian Phill Jupitus and his “You’re Probably Wondering Why I’ve Asked You Here” show.
Whole Lotta Led – the UK’s only full-time professional Led Zeppelin tribute band – will play at the Mart Theatre on Friday, August 10.
Their shows consist of songs from the entire Zeppelin back catalogue including the classics Whole Lotta Love and Stairway To Heaven.
The gig starts at 7.30pm and tickets are available from (01756) 706460 or themarttheatre.org.uk
* The Fake Festivals 2012 tour will hit Skipton on Saturday. Taking place at Aireville Park, it will feature performances from acclaimed tributes to Oasis, U2 and Red Hot Chili Peppers, as well as a showcase of some of the most exciting artists in the region.
Topping the bill will be Oasish, New2 and Really Hot Chilli Peppers, while the support artists are pop punk quartet You Had Me At Hello, The Broken Hearts Club Band, Sharp Darts, Roadkill and Control Is Dead Tickets cost £17.50 (£10 for ten to 17 year olds) and are available from fakefestivals.co.uk, Skipton Tourist Information, Craven Swimming Pool, Fusion Gamez, and Aire Valley Guitars, Keighley.
* Photographer Tim Smith explores how tea links North Yorkshire and the troubled African country of Rwanda in the latest exhibition at Craven Museum and Gallery. His exhibition, Tea: From The Land Of A Thousand Hills, runs until September 22.
* Mill Bridge Gallery is hosting The Great British Summer, which reflects the quirkiness of summers in Britain, both past and present.
It features work by Margaret Hockney, sister of artist David Hockney, York photographer David Sault, sculptor Darrell Evanes and Skipton photographer Henry Meyer.
* The Craven Artists’ Network is to hold an exhibition in the foyer of Craven Museum, in Skipton Town Hall, from Wednesday.
It is the seven artists’ first collaborative show, which they have called “Growth”.
The group was established by Isabella Wood, who said: “They are an eclectic bunch of people, ranging in age from teenager to senior citizen. Their styles are as diverse – experimenting in film to photomontage, lino cuts to acrylics, conceptual art to mixed media.”
Details of how to find the gallery can be found at Settle Tourist Information Centre or visit galleryonthegreen.org.uk.
* The Folly is hosting two exhibitions, including Victoria Cave Revisited, which celebrates the discovery of the cave in 1837 and its excavation in the 1870s.
The second exhibition, Time to Celebrate, looks at how communities have celebrated special occasions over the years.
* Art and the Garden is the focus of an exhibition at Linton Court Gallery, which features paintings, prints, sculpture, collage and glass.
* Settle Social Club is hosting a Soul in the Dales night on Sunday, from 8.30am to 1am.
* The film Hairspray will be shown at the Victoria Hall on Wednesday at 7pm. Tickets cost £5.
BARNOLDSWICK: St Joseph’s Community Centre will present an evening of 60s soul, Northern and Tamla Motown on Saturday.
The event will run from 7.30pm and admission is £3 on the door.
BOLTON ABBEY: Pianist Emanuel (Manny) Vass will perform the final concert of the season at Bolton Abbey Priory tomorrow (Friday).
The concert starts at 7.30pm and tickets cost £10 from the church office on (01756) 710238.
BRADLEY: John Gillan, comedian and tenor vocalist, will perform at the Slaters Arms at 8.30pm on Monday.
BROUGHTON: The three-day Magic Loungeabout festival kicks off tomorrow (Friday) in the grounds of Broughton Hall.
For more information or tickets, visit themagicloungeabout.net or call 0844 888 9991.
GRASSINGTON: The VaCO Ensemble – members of Vacation Chamber – will perform at the town hall on Saturday.
The performance starts at 7.30pm and admission on the door is £10 for adults and £5 for children. Tickets can also be purchased from 07974 698264.
* Rawdon artist Michael Curran will hold an exhibition of Dales watercolours in the Ladies’ Room of the town hall from this Sunday until Sunday, August 12.
Hellifield : A Stars in Your Eyes night will kick off the village’s gala celebrations.
The Hellifield’s Got Talent event will be held in the gala marquee next Friday, August 3, at 7.30pm.
For more information, contact Dave Preston on 01729 850418.
INGLETON: St Mary’s Church is holding a concert in aid of its roof appeal next Saturday, August 4, at 7.30pm featuring classical guitarist Finbarr Malafronte.
Tickets cost £10 (concessions £8).