Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CHNEWS to 80360, or email
Women have a lucky escape from Skipton house fire
10:09am Thursday 25th October 2012 in News
Two elderly women had a narrow escape when fire engulfed a bedroom at their home on The Oval, Skipton, last Wednesday.
As neighbours led them to safety, the upstairs windows blew out onto the street.
No-one was injured.
Neighbour Daniel Aldersley said: “My wife was doing some housework when a neighbour knocked to ask about a house directly over the street with concerns over smoke coming out of the front bedroom window.
“Jessica, my wife, spotted the flames in the upstairs window, raised the alarm with the fire service, and dashed across the road to see if anyone was in. We know the house is inhabited by two elderly women. They entered the living room and there was so much smoke everywhere they had to cover their mouths and nose with their clothes. She urged the women to leave as soon as possible and as they were leaving the upstairs window blew out onto the street.”
Two fire crews from Skipton tackled the blaze, which was confined to the bedroom. It damaged a mattress and bedding and there was serious heat and smoke damage to the whole room. The cause has been described as accidental.
Ambulance and police crews also attended the incident, which was reported just before 11am.