Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CHNEWS to 80360, or email
Red Lion at Burnsall evacuated after fire breaks out
9:00am Thursday 3rd January 2013 in News
Twenty people were evacuated from a Dales pub after a fire broke out in one of its function rooms on Sunday.
Fire officials say that the alarm was raised at the Red Lion Hotel, Burnsall, at about 2.50pm and was initially reported as a chimney fire.
A spokesman for the North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the fire had started behind a log burner in an integral office within the function room, housed in a modern extension.
Heat spread to the boxing around the flue and up the wooden beading to the apex of the roof. The fire damaged the wooden surrounds of the flue and caused moderate smoke damage to the room.
The final crew left the scene at 6.40pm.