Renovation work is to be carried out to a grade two listed country house at Austwick, where Winston Churchill reputedly stayed during a painting trip to the Dales.
The Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority has granted planning permission and listed building consent to alterations to outbuildings and extensions to Austwick Hall.
The property - parts of which date back to the 12th century - is currently used as a luxury guest house and the work will create additional reception areas, including a courtyard room and library, and improve the back-of-house service spaces.
The roof will also be repaired and the garden steps relocated.
A design and access statement said the rear of the property was in a relatively poor state, with the outbuildings being used less and less, allowing significant deterioration.
“The proposed work will allow for the guest accommodation to function better, bringing previous unused spaces into viable use. This will allow for the future maintenance of these spaces, preventing further dilapidation.”
It added the work would reflect the high standard of the existing guest accommodation and enhance the listed building.
Dating from 1180, the house was originally built as a pele tower and the remains of the tower walls can be seen between the entrance hall and drawing room.
In 1551 the manor was sold by the Duke of Suffolk to Sir John Yorke, who started his career as a wool merchant but went on to hold various positions at the Royal Mint.
Austwick Hall remained in the Yorke family for two generations before being sold to John Ingleby, whose family and descendants lived there until the early 19th century. In 1829, it passed into the ownership of the Clapham family.
In more recent times, it has been used as a nursing home and a home for the elderly.