Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CHNEWS to 80360, or email
Upper Wharfedale Heritage Group uncovers history of Embsay mill
10:00am Saturday 9th February 2013 in News
Walkers at Embsay Reservoir have long been intrigued by the remnants of various buildings – one still standing, bits of mysterious wall and other strange hollows and bumps.
Now the Upper Wharfedale Heritage Group can reveal they are, in fact, the remains of a cotton mill, Whitfield Syke, which operated between around 1795 and 1875.
In 2009 the heritage group set itself the task of researching the history of the mill, linking the written records to what can still be seen on the surface, and the results have just been published.
Group chairman Ruth Spencer presented a complimentary copy of the report to local farmers John and Shirley Mason, who were extremely hospitable and helpful when fieldwork was under way in 2010.
The report costs £12 (plus p&p) and copies can be ordered by via uwhg.org.uk