Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CHNEWS to 80360, or email
Craven District Council issues syringe appeal after worker is hurt
8:00am Saturday 9th February 2013 in News
Syringe users in Craven are being urged to dispose of them responsibly.
The plea, by Craven District Council, follows an incident in which a worker was pierced with a needle dumped in a paper bank.
The employee of Paperback, who was injured while sorting material, was given the all-clear after receiving medical attention.
There are paper recycling facilities across Craven and the council said it was impossible to tell at which site the offending needle was dumped.
“No syringes” notices are now being placed at every location.
People who use syringes for a medical condition or to treat animals are being advised to get a sharps container from their GP or vet. The container should then be returned to the practice for safe disposal.
Coun Carl Lis, lead member for the environment, said: “This is an issue the council has taken very seriously.
“We have contacted all the vets, doctors’ surgeries and hospitals in the Craven area to highlight the incident and request that the correct disposal procedures are followed for such materials.”