Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CHNEWS to 80360, or email
Craven's new garden waste payment scheme is branded rubbish
Craven’s new payment scheme for the collection of garden waste has been branded “rubbish”.
Shauna Potts, who lives in Grassington, signed up and paid the £24 annual fee to get her brown bin collected 11 weeks ago on June 25.
But since then, and despite twice weekly phone calls and two official complaints via the council website, she has yet to receive the all important tag, which if not fitted to the bin, will mean it is not emptied.
A delay on the delivery of the tags after they were initially sent out with residents’ full details on them should have been sorted with paid-up householders being put on an “exception” list – but that too has failed.
“On the last collection day, my husband took the day off work to stand by the bin, he caught the men on their way out and asked why they had not collected ours, and they said because there was no tag, and when he asked them about the exception list, they knew nothing about it,” she said.
“They say there is an issue with the tag providers but that there is an exception list and that I’m on it, but every time I go to work in the morning and come back in the evening, it’s not been collected.
“I phone up on the Thursday after collection day and they do come and collect it, but I’m fed up with making all these phone calls. It takes time out of my working day.”
She added that she had received nothing but sympathy and understanding from people dealing with her calls, but was becoming increasingly frustrated.
“Five weeks ago, I put in an official complaint by the website, which has never been replied to. Three weeks ago, I put in another complaint and demanded that it be acknowledged, that was responded to, but I’m still waiting for a response, and the website says a reply should be received in five or ten days,” she said.
Mrs Potts, a businesswoman, who lives in Hardy Grange, says she was also promised an explanation by a manager, who said he would respond to her within the day – which she never received.
“I cannot understand why it has taken 11 weeks to do something so simple, it’s not rocket science.
“I’m a professional, and if I did something like this, I would be out of business.”
Paul Florentine, the council’s head of waste and recycling, has now apologised to Mrs Potts for the “unacceptable turn of events”.
He admitted that far more residents than expected had signed up to the service which had resulted in logistical issues.
“In some cases, like Mrs Potts, this has led to unacceptable delays in processing the issuing of garden waste permits. I am assured that her permit should be with her before the next scheduled collection.”
Mr Florentine said he was also investigating why Mrs Potts’ bin had not been collected, when she should have been included in the exception list.
“Communication to Mrs Potts since August 21 has clearly been non-existent. As with all new schemes the volumes of calls to the service dramatically increase but this in no way excuses our failing to contact her about missed collections and is something I will deal with internally.”
Comments are closed on this article.