Farmhouse 'unsafe' after Malham explosion

A Malham farmhouse has been declared unsafe after a propane gas cylinder exploded in the kitchen on Saturday morning.

Two occupants - a man and a woman - were treated at the scene for shock, but were otherwise unhurt, said a spokesman for the North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service.

Firefighters from Grassington, Settle and Skipton went to Hall Close Farm after the alarm was raised at about 10.40am.

It is believed that an electrical fault caused a fire in the washing machine, which in turn melted a rubber pipe on the cylinder, making it explode.

“The fire caused light smoke damage and damaged an oak beam in the kitchen, but the explosion made the house structurally unsafe,” said the spokesman.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree