Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CHNEWS to 80360, or email
Dixon's Butchers in Addingham to shut after 130 years
11:00am Saturday 18th January 2014 in News
Dixon’s Butchers in Addingham will close its doors for the final time at noon on Saturday, February 1, after 130 years of trading.
The original shop, Dixon & West, opened in 1884 and became J Dixon & Sons between the First and Second World Wars.
John (Jack) Dixon Snr ran the shop on his own during the Second World War when John (Young Jack) Jnr was in the Army in India.
After demob Young Jack returned to the Main Street shop, which had to contend with food rationing until 1954.
From 1963 to 1997 Jack and his two sons, John and Roger, ran the business together, assisted by mum Dorothy.
Anne Dixon, who is married to John, said: “Everyone pitched in to help.
“Anne Hargrave joined the business in 1988 and has stayed on well into her own retirement, enjoying serving in the shop, exchanging banter with the customers and keeping ‘the boys’ in order.
“Jack died in 1997, in his 80th year, never quite managing to retire completely. He liked to go down to the shop and potter.
“John and Roger have decided that the time has now come to retire. John is already, technically, a pensioner and Roger is getting closer. Anne can now retire fully, along with ‘the boys’.”
John added: “We would like to thank all our customers for all their support over the years.”
There are plans to convert the building into two flats with a small retail unit.
Comments are closed on this article.