Firefighters tackle mill blaze in Earby

Fire crews from four towns were called to Wardle Storeys

Fire crews from four towns were called to Wardle Storeys

First published in News

Fire crews have extinguished a blaze at an Earby mill this morning.
Crews from Earby, Colne, Nelson and Blackburn were called to the scene of a fire at Wardle Storeys, on Grove Street, at 6.26am.
Heavy smoke had been coming from the four-storey building, which is used for plastic production.
A spokesman for the Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: “The fire, which started in the calendar department, caused damage large quantity of recycled plastic, an electrical control panel and ten metres of electrical cable.”
Eight firefighters wearing breathing apparatuses used two jets and hose reel to extinguish the fire by 9am.
The building was heavily smoke logged, and two ventilation units had to be used to help clear smoke from the structure.
The fire service spokesman also credited the company for the installation of sprinklers, which mitigated the damage.
He said: “Because the building was fitted with sprinklers, the fire was able to be put out quicker. This allowed the firefighters to deal with it before it spread.”

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree