GLUSBURN and Cross Hills Women's Institute welcomed six members of the “C” Company, West Riding 28th Battalion, otherwise known as the Haworth Home Guard.
Dressed in uniforms from the Second World War, the re-enactment group came along with rifles and revolvers, incendiary bombs, cluster bombs and sticky bombs.
They explained that when the Home Guard was first formed, no uniforms were issued and weapons were mostly homemade. By the time they were disbanded however, at the end of 1944, the Home Guard was a well-organised formidable force.
The next WI meeting is on September 2 when Kelsang Dr-ma will speak on Buddhist meditation.