Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CHNEWS to 80360, or email
Great Yorkshire Show cancelled
6:36pm Tuesday 10th July 2012 in News
Fears for the safety of visitors and exhibitors have led to the Great Yorkshire Show being cancelled.
It is only the third occasion in the event's history that such a decision has had to be taken, with armed conflict during the Second World War and the foot and mouth outbreak the cause of previous cancellations.
Lady Emma Ingleby, show spokeswoman, emerged from a meeting with the organisers to announce the decision. She said the move had been taken "with regret" and was due to mounting concerns over safety around the site and particularly in the car parks.
A statement on the show website states: "After three months of unprecedented rainfall we have had to take the difficult decision to cancel the Great Yorkshire Show on the evening of the first day; after suffering a further 30 minute deluge this afternoon. "Sadly the car parks just did not hold up and so for health and safety reasons we simply could not continue. "This is a heartbreaking decision for everyone who loves the Great Yorkshire Show and is involved in making it so special.
"Refunds will be issued for visitors who have bought tickets in advance, please send your tickets back to us with your name and address and we will organise refunds as soon as we can. Or alternatively you can keep the tickets and use them for the 2013 Great Yorkshire Show.
"We hope our members will continue to support the Yorkshire Agricultural Society through this difficult period.
"We will be in contact with all livestock exhibitors and refund all entries fees for events on Wednesday and Thursday."
This evening, with incessant rain having fallen until around 4.30pm, tractors were being used to pull cars out of the car park.
Lady Emma said the decision to call off the event was extremely upsetting because of the all the hard work and preparation that had gone into the show.
As a precursor to the decision, all equine competitions had been called off, however, it had earlier been thought the show would still go ahead.
A spokesman said at the time: "A decision has just been made, on safety grounds, due to serious concerns for horses and exhibitors that all equine competitions - ridden and in-hand - on both Wednesday and Thursday have been cancelled."
Earlier, thousands of people who had been planning to attend the the show were asked not to attend, after the showground's car parks became waterlogged.
At the time, only advanced ticket holders, members and people who were due to arrive at the ground on a shuttle bus from Harrogate, would be able to attend.