Storthes Hall turn tables on Campion

Craven Herald: Tyersal’s Graeme Sides is tackled by Oxenhope’s Dayne Ward during Saturday’s thrilling clash, which Oxenhope won 4-3 Buy this photo » Tyersal’s Graeme Sides is tackled by Oxenhope’s Dayne Ward during Saturday’s thrilling clash, which Oxenhope won 4-3

There were mixed fortunes for the County Amateur League sides in the third round of the West Riding County FA Challenge Cup and Challenge Trophy.

Campion, who beat Storthes Hall 4-1 in the league earlier this season, were eliminated by the same score when the two sides met in Saturday’s Challenge Cup.

Storthes Hall’s Tom McReadie scored twice to add to goals from Joshua Cayenne and Michael Hall, while Terry Hargreaves netted Campion’s consolation.

Graeme Sides gave Tyersal a 1-0 half-time advantage at home to Keighley-based West Yorkshire League side Oxenhope.

A hectic second half saw a further six goals scored, with Oxenhope running out 4-3 winners.

Daniel Moriarty scored two with one apiece for Ryan Ives and Michael Garnett. Arron Gibson and a second goal from Sides had given Tyersal a fighting chance.

Both Steeton and Ovenden West Riding progressed with 2-1 victories, Peter Hanson and Tim Hird netting for Steeton in their success at Beeston St Anthony’s, while Mat Jones and Carlton Pownall were on target for Ovenden in their home win over Manchester League side Springhead.

Westbrook YMCA and Silsden Reserves were locked at 3-3 after extra-time before Silsden won 4-3 in the penalty shoot-out. Richard Terry, with two, and Chris Egan were YMCA’s scorers, with Tom Sowerbutts, Bradley Fay and Nick McNally replying for Silsden Reserves.

Bay Athletic’s game with Robin Hood Athletic was called off due to a waterlogged ground and has been rearranged for this Saturday.

Campion Reserves booked their place in round four of the Challenge Trophy with a 1-0 win at Boroughbridge Reserves, Chris Graham scoring the vital goal with a first-half free-kick.

Steeton Reserves had their progress halted with a 4-0 defeat at Rothwell Town.

Ovenden West Riding stay on top of the Premier Division after the game between second and third-placed sides Littletown and Golcar United was called off.

Fourth-placed Kirkburton would have moved into the top spot with victory over Halifax Irish but were well beaten as four goals from Gareth Jones and two from Callum Cooke saw them run out worthy 6-2 winners.

Salts, who after winning their first three games of the season had failed to win in nine, finally ended their slump with a 5-0 drubbing of bottom pside Hall Green United. Mathew Bailey (2), Chris White, Stuart Mullins and Andy Howland were on the scoresheet.

After their shock home defeat to West Horton last weekend, Division One leaders Hunsworth returned to winning ways with a 2-1 success at basement side Overthorpe, with Stuart McCallum and Dale Wright netting.

Ventus Yeadon Celtic stay in second place after a Kyle Shah first-half strike gave them a 1-0 win at Tingley Athletic. Wakefield City remain in third place, with Ryan Barker scoring in their 1-0 win at Wibsey.

Salts Reserves matched their first-team colleagues by netting five times, Mat Murphy and Richard Magson netting twice each to add to one by Ryan Boguslaski as they beat West Horton 5-3.

FA Inter-League Cup, third-round draw: Lincolnshire League v Humber Premier League or Wearside League; Isle of Man League v West Riding County Amateur League; Kent County League or Dorset Premier League v Jersey Foot-ball Combination; Surrey Elite Intermediate League v Worthing & District League; Holders: Jersey Football Combination. Ties to be played by Saturday, February 15.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree