Steeton 3 Brighouse Town Reserves 0

Steeton progressed to the semi-finals of the West Riding FA Challenge Cup for the first time in their history following a convincing win over a young Brighouse side.

Their derby victory over Oxenhope in the last round had already seen the Chevrons reach new ground in the county’s flagship knock-out competition for amateur clubs.

And Steeton made light work of their Lancashire League visitors, who are the development side for Brighouse’s semi-pro first team.

With injuries to Damien White-oak and Jamie Longley, Jack Ogalbe and Josh Ferguson were restored to the side as the Chevrons went with a 4-4-2 formation to match the opposition’s set-up.

The home side got off to an ideal start when Graham Holmes was bundled over on the edge of the box. Andy Holden’s quick thinking saw him feed Andy King, who composed himself to fire home after only two minutes.

Brighouse blasted over from 20 yards as they looked for an immediate response.

Steeton skipper Michael Rhodes had a shot well saved at the near post before Paul Quinn tested Phil Rishton with another long-range effort.

The game was end to end but Tim Hird and Ogalbe started to get on top of the midfield battle and break the play up for Steeton.

At the other end, Luke Hill was looking lively as Matty Kershaw did well to intercept following a neat interchange of passing.

Steeton doubled their lead after 20 minutes and again it was King who found the net after gliding past two defenders before smashing home past keeper Matt Hirst.

Quinn then tested Rishton to the full but the big Steeton keeper was equal to it, tipping the ball over. Rishton was down again smartly, tipping a Cormac Noel shot on to the post.

Ferguson linked up well on the left with King and they combined to find Lee Reilly in the box but Hirst did well to block his effort.

Andy Holden then had a shot from the edge of the box well saved and Hill fired narrowly over the bar as the visitors looked to reduce the arrears before the break.

The second period saw Steeton having to reshuffle the pack, with Martin Bland replacing the injured Reilly and Sam Rooke moving up front to partner Holmes in attack.

Rooke did well to spin free in the box and he clipped an effort narrowly wide of the far post. Craig Billington went close again for the visitors but Rishton again had it covered.

Holmes thought he had inc-reased the lead as he won the ball in a chase with the keeper and clipped his effort into an empty net, only for play to be pulled back for a foul on the keeper.

Rooke also had an effort disallowed by the assistant’s flag.

Steeton were not to be denied a third though as Rooke rattled the bar, after great work from Hird, and Holmes fired in from close range.

Chevrons boss Roy Mason said: “It was a great performance and we thoroughly deserved our win. It would be great now if we can take a big crowd to the semi-final.

“We want to go all the way and the support we take can act like a 12th man for us.”

Steeton face Goole United in the last four at West Riding County FA headquarters Woodlesford on Thursday, April 3 (7.30pm).

The club will be running supporters’ coaches. Details will be on their website at

This Saturday Steeton host Bay Athletic in the West Riding County Amateur League Premier Division.