Barnoldswick Town 0 Glossop North End 2

Barnoldswick Town were left ruing the chances that got away as they suffered more Premier Division heartache on Saturday.

For the first time in ten matches Town had a full allocation of substitutes without having to call on manager Stewart Airdrie.

The improved player availability was certainly a boost as was the spirited team performance.

The pitch at the Silent-Night Stadium had dried out somewhat from the previous day when it still had surface water on it.

The first threat of the match came in the seventh minute when Glossop full back Alex Byrne crossed from the right of the Town penalty area to the far post where Bill Williams climbed high to head clear.

Town replied and Mark Threlfall tried to slip Aaron Hollindrake in but the ball seemed to get trapped under the striker’s feet and the chance was lost.

Glossop should have taken the lead after 13 minutes when a cross from the Town right found Gavin Lee Ellison unmarked but he headed wide.

The game was then nip and tuck with both teams unable to carve their way through.

But a chance fell to Town when Andrew Jones dropped the ball at the far post.

Carl Ellerton managed to get his foot to the ball turning it goalwards past the keeper from three yards out.

With Threlfall moving to-wards the ball to apply the finishing touch, Glossop’s skipper David Young hacked clear from almost on the line.

Another great chance came Town’s way in the 42nd minute.

Jake McEneaney fired a cross along the six-yard box which Young only half cleared.

The ball fell to the unmarked Harry Thompson who fired a shot straight back but Kelvin Lugsden was alert to the threat and blocked the ball close to the line.

Right on half-time Glossop had another chance when the league’s top scorer Tom Bailey curled a shot from the edge of the penalty area just the wrong side of Billy Carrington’s post.

As was the case last week at Congleton, Town conceded straight after the start of the second half.

The Town defence failed to clear and the ball dropped at the feet of Kyle Riley who slotted home from close range.

Glossop almost scored a second goal a minute later. Left back Matt Russell was allowed to run to the edge of the penalty area before curling a shot just past the post.

Town made a substitution after 76 minutes, Kieran Lee replacing Paul Walker and Connor Smith took over from Carl Ellerton two minutes later.

They began pressing for an equaliser and almost got one. A clever free kick taken by Connor Smith put Samuel Howell clear on the left.

As Jones advanced to close him down Smith fired a shot past him towards the goal.

He must have thought he had scored, but Andrew Kilheeney had other ideas, quickly coming across to clear a yard from the goal-line.

With Town pressing for that elusive equaliser they were leaving themselves open to quick counter attacks.

Sure enough two minutes into injury time Steven Williams broke free and as he got into the penalty area Carrington came out to save.

Unluckily for Town the ball squirmed to Bailey who easily lifted his shot over him into the net.