Barnoldswick Town 1 AFC Liverpool 1

Town had two new signings in the starting line-up, Neil Stansfield and James Crorken both joining from Colne.

Last week’s new signing Ishmael Mills was serving the first of three-match suspension for being dismissed playing for Eccleshill United.

Town had the first shot at goal after five minutes when Joel Melia tried a shot from just outside the Liverpool penalty area, the shot bounced off Liverpool keeper Ryan Jones’ chest but there was no one from the Town team to take advantage.

A minute later Town keeper Edward Hall had to make a diving save from James Robinson. Liverpool kept up the pressure and danger man Ronnie Morgan fired a fierce shot just over the bar.

Liverpool piled on the pressure and after 23 minutes Ryan Cox should have scored after the ball ran free following a corner, two minutes later Hall made a good save from a Steven Williams free-kick. At this point it was all Liverpool, Hall diving to his left to save a Morgan shot at the foot of the post.

Town could have nicked a goal right on half-time as Scott Byrom had an on target shot deflected wide of the post by Michael Girvan. But the half ended with Liverpool on the front foot, Hall made a good save parrying the ball to the far post, the ball fell invitingly to Cox four yards from the Town goal line, Carl Ellerton made a last-ditch lunge to block the shot deflecting it almost along the Town goal line and past the far post.

Liverpool started the second half well, Cox again in the thick of it as he thundered a shot across Hall's goal. Town made a substitution after 65 minutes, Mark Threlfall being replaced by Stewart Airdrie.

But it was Liverpool who scored first, Shaun Airey bringing a Liverpool player down in the penalty area. John Lawless stepped up to take the spot kick.

Hall anticipated well and dived to his left to save at the foot of his post but he couldn’t hang on to the ball and with all the Town players static Cox was quickly onto the ball and scored past Hall.

With Airdrie beginning to make Town tick, they won a corner on the Liverpool right with two minutes to go. Aaron Hollindrake heading the ball on to the back post, Crorken was there unmarked and when it looked all over he would score his shot was blocked three yards out. The ball went to the corner of the six-yard box at the far post. Airdrie hurled himself forward and headed firmly past Jones to put the scores level.

The scoreline was probably the right one, both teams putting on a good display on an afternoon that had bright sunshine and a couple of heavy showers during the game.

A much-improved performance from Town against an unbeaten Liverpool team.