Steeton 4

Storthes Hall 4

STEETON clinched their first point of the season in the West Riding County Amateur League after a thrilling encounter on Saturday.

The hosts made three changes from the side that lost 4-1 against Salts last Wednesday, Matty Kershaw returning following suspension, with Josh Ferguson dropping to the bench.

Also Josh Metcalfe replaced the absent Ryan Ives, and Joe Park was given the nod over Mark McGee in an unfamiliar 3-5-2 formation.

Steeton made a fantastic start when, after just six minutes, an Arly Barnes free-kick was dropped by the Storthes Hall keeper to Tim Hird, who shot home powerfully.

Two minutes later, Steeton doubled their advantage through a Lee Reilly penalty after Graham Holmes had been fouled.

Storthes then forced keeper Wayne Mahomet into three very good saves, but after 27 minutes, he played a short ball to Joe Meegan, who immediately came under pressure from striker Joshimur Bradshaw.

He stole the ball from him and, despite the efforts of skipper Damien Whiteoak, pulled a goal back.

Storthes almost made it 2-2 when they hit the bar with a free-kick seven minutes later and, although Kershaw could have received a second yellow for unsporting behaviour, the next card went to Hird for a perfectly-timed tackle.

Steeton began the second half just as they had the first, with a goal. A throw-in by Barnes found Holmes on the edge of the Storthes box, and he turned well and found Park, whose shot evaded a mass of bodies.

Steeton feared the worst when Mahomet stayed down, but he was able to continue after lengthy treatment to a knee.

Storthes again cut Steeton's lead just before the hour when Rooke conceded a penalty that was converted by Lee Bradshaw but then two Steeton players were booked for no clear reason.

The visitors made it 3-3 with just over 15 minutes left. Holmes bundled into an opponent and the resulting free-kick was well struck by Josh Rodgers and, with under ten minutes remaining, Steeton Gavin Armitage shot past Mahomet for 4-3.

Just as it looked as if Steeton would record a fourth consecutive defeat, they were awarded a second penalty for a soft foul on Reilly, which also saw Storthes' No 5 dismissed. Reilly confidently converted and the referee blew the final whistle.

Steeton boss Roy Mason said: “Wednesday night’s match against Salts was a woeful performance but Saturday was much better. We are beginning to get players back, and that’s a big help for us.

"It was a bit of a bitter-sweet result as being ahead twice and having a two-goal cushion, we should have seen the game out. However, when you get a penalty in the 95th minute it seems like a win!

Steeton: Mahomet, Barnes, Kershaw (McGee), Meegan, Rooke, Whiteoak, Metcalfe (Holden), Hird, Reilly, Holmes, Park. Subs (not used): Douthwaite, Ferguson.