West Riding County Amateur League Premier Division: Honley 3 Steeton 4

STEETON made hard work of a victory that could and should have been by a far wider margin.

On a terrible pitch that was bobbly, good football was never going to be easy and the Chevrons also had one eye on Wednesday’s County Cup semi-final against Boroughbridge.

They started the brighter, creating a couple of chances that didn’t really trouble the home keeper. However, they appeared to have grounds for a penalty as Alex Yates was bundled over in the box but the referee waved play on.

Honley made the breakthrough when Steeton failed to deal with a corner and the ball was stabbed in from close range.

The lead lasted a mere ten minutes as Olly Hunter and Elliot Scott combined well down the left and Steve Pearson powered in a header from Andy Holden's resulting corner.

Hunter then put Steeton ahead. Playing in a more forward role than in the last few weeks, he cut in from the left and clipped the ball over the stranded keeper.

With Tim Hird dominating midfield, Steeton were well on top. Graham Holmes increased the lead with the goal of the game.

Picking the ball up just outside the area, he spun and thrashed the ball into the top corner from 20 yards.

Steeton then had a great opportunity to increase their lead as Alistair Morgan broke into the box and was upended by the home defender. However, the home keeper guessed right and saved Michael Rhodes’ resulting penalty.

The second period was a stale affair with the only notable moment being Yates’ strike on 63 minutes. Honley were looking to get the ball forward but Sam Rooke and Pearson were able to deal comfortably with anything thrown at them.

Jonson Butterfield and Lee Reilly then combined well, the latter going just wide as the keeper came out to narrow the angle well.

Wayne Mahomet then made a great block as the home side threw caution to the wind and got a reward with two goals in the last five minutes to leave Steeton sweating when they should have been in the clear.

Boss Roy Mason said: "In truth, it wasn't the seven-goal thriller the score suggests.

"It was a difficult game for us from the point of view that obviously we had one eye on Wednesday, but it was near on impossible to play football on such a poor pitch. The main thing for us was to claim the points and not to have any injuries for the semi-final.

Steeton: Mahomet, Pearson, Scott, Morgan, Rooke (Reilly), Hird (Briggs), Holden, Rhodes, Yates, Holmes, Hunter (Butterfield).