Hallmark Security League Division One: Alsager Town 2 Silsden 1

SILSDEN were unable to continue their hot streak which had seen them win five of their last six games.

Both sides had something to play for, with the seventh-placed Bullets clinging to hopes of still making the top-six play-offs and the Cobbydalers were aiming for a top-ten place to secure a spot in next season’s FA Cup.

With Mark Trueman unavailable, boss Danny Forrest brought in Ben Cox on what was a bone-hard pitch which suited the hosts' more direct style rather than the Yorkshiremen's passing game.

Alsager took the lead after ten minutes when Matty Moses conceded a corner and centre back Paul Taylor rose above the Silsden defence to head home.

A second goal soon followed when Josh Kaine tried to head a long ball back to Callum Jakovlevs but Michael Lennon got there before the Silsden keeper to slot home.

To make things worse for the visitors, Mark Everingham was injured shortly afterwards and replaced by Aaron Davis.

This was followed by a period of Silsden domination with the ball but an inability to breach the packed home defence.

On 40 minutes a long throw-in from Dan Illingworth bounced twice and appeared to get a slight touch from a team-mate before it went into the Town net. The referee appeared to blow for a goal but, while running back to the centre-circle, seemed to change his decision to a goal kick for a foul on the keeper! Two minutes later Bullets leading scorer Mark Grice escaped with a yellow card following an incident which saw Josh Eastwood on the ground.

At the start of the second half, the Cobbydalers laid siege on the Alsager penalty area. Danny Bunch burst into the box, feeding Tom Henderson, who saw his shot tipped round the post by Joe Mellor. Henderson then shot wide after a deft header from Chris Wademan.

Cox’s low shot was saved before Lennon managed to deflect Illingworth’s header over the bar.

Alsager weathered the early onslaught but the Cobbydalers had a shout for a penalty after Stubbs tripped Eastwood.

More controversy followed when Silsden claimed that Danny Vincent had been on the end of punch from Kyle Stubbs while running into the box.

They had expected a red card and a penalty but the referee consulted with his assistant, who had his flag raised. Stubbs was cautioned and Silsden given a free-kick on the edge of the Alsager area “for an earlier offence”.

Silsden still pushed for a goal as Danny Bunch's shot bounced over the bar from close range and McNally headed over. The Bullets almost made it three on the break before McNally finally netted for the Reds in the 90th minute.

But it was not enough and, to rub salt in their wounds, Stockport Town won to move above Silsden into tenth spot.

The Cobbydalers' penultimate game is at Ashton Town tomorrow night.

SILSDEN: Jakovlevs, Moses, Vincent, Kaine, Illingworth, Cox (McNally 64), Henderson (Forrest 76), Eastwood, Bunch, Wademan, Everingham (Davis 28).