Hallmark Security League Division One: Silsden 0 Cheadle Town 3

SILSDEN were denied a top ten spot after losing to in-form Cheadle as Stockport Town leapfrogged them with a win at Sandbach.

The Cobbydalers were aiming for tenth position to book themselves a place in next season's FA Cup but had to settle for an 11th place finish.

But a positive end to the season, which has seen them win six out of their last nine games in April, will provide optimism for the next campaign.

The Cobbydalers were on the attack from the kick-off with Tom Henderson having a powerful drive saved by Jon McIlwaine. Nicky McNally then slid the ball across to Mark Everingham, who saw his effort saved by the Cheadle keeper.

At the other end, ever-present Callum Jakovlevs made a vital save from Mike Sherrington, who appeared to foul Josh Kaine as he broke into the area.

The Cobbydalers went close again but Luke Pearson headed Illingworth’s powerful header off the line.

Town took the lead on 18 minutes when Rhys Webb outpaced the defence and curled the ball wide of Jakovlevs. It was the 25th goal of the season for Webb, who had been picked up from Sunday league football in October and looked a class act.

It wasn’t until the 30th minute that the Cobbydalers got back on the offensive. Left back Danny Vincent sent McNally clear on the left and a through ball to Henderson resulted in another fine save.

It looked as if the score would remain 1-0 at the break but the hosts were left up against it when Webb latched onto a misplaced pass to give his side a two-goal advantage.

The visitors threatened again at the start of the second half, left back Davison Banda cutting inside Eastwood and curling a right-foot shot just wide of the left-hand post.

Silsden kept possession but only by passing the ball back as many times forwards. They began to make inroads as McNally and Eastwood went close.

Webb had a chance for his hat-trick but Kaine recovered well to keep Silsden in the game. He then broke forwards and crossed to Trueman when there appeared to be a hand-ball in the area but the official waved play on.

Danny Forrest came on and Illingworth was moved forward. The centre half sent a powerful header goalwards in the dying minutes but McIlwaine made a fingertip save.

To add salt to Silsden's wounds, the visitors broke clear in injury-time to notch a third goal through Liam Tongue.

Silsden weren’t at their best but there wasn’t a three-goal margin between the teams.

The Cobbydalers ended a long season with 20 league wins, 20 defeats and just two draws. The results might have been better had Will Storrie and Kyle Hancock not been out for the last nine games with serious injuries.

A short assessment might read 'improving but could do better'. This is still a young side and since Danny Forrest took over in mid-season, the performances have been more positive.

Kaine was named manager’s player of the year, Matty Moses was players’ player and Jakovlevs received an award for being an ever present throughout the league campaign and all 11 cup games.

SILSDEN: Jakovlevs, Moses, Vincent, Everingham, Kaine, Illingworth, Trueman, Bunch, Eastwood (Cox 83), McNally (Forrest 58), Henderson (Davis 72), Everingham.