West Riding County Amateur League Premier Division: Littletown 0 Steeton 5

STEETON bounced back from their League Cup semi-final defeat by Littletown to inflict the heaviest loss of the season on their Heckmondwike hosts.

It was also the Chevrons' biggest league win of the campaign, even though they had injuries and players unavailable. Steeton were forced to reshuffle and assistant manager Adam Smith took his place in the starting line-up as Tim Hird hadn’t recovered from a hamstring problem sustained in midweek.

The home side started the better, with Joe Jagger again looking a threat, and Alistair Morgan did well to get a block in before Wayne Mahomet was out sharply to deny the league's leading scorer.

At the other end Joe Mason fed Andy Briggs, who slipped in Andy Holden in Steeton’s best move of the half but the Steeton skipper fired over.

With Smith organising the side, Steeton frustrated the hosts. Elliot Scott did well to make a last-ditch challenge as the home side looked to make the breakthrough.

After a stalemate in the first period, there was nothing to suggest that either side would run out easy winners.

But Steeton took the lead early in the second half as Scott’s ball into the box fell to Alex Yates, who steadied himself to smash the ball past the advancing keeper.

The lead was quickly doubled as Jonson Butterfield beat his man and rolled in Yates, who clipped the ball over the keeper. Ben Clarkson then showed his promise as he skipped past three defenders before drawing the keeper and slipping the ball underneath him for a third to effectively kill the game.

Sam Rooke then made a surging run from the back and clipped the ball back to Yates, who spun with his back to goal and drilled the ball home to complete a fine hat-trick.

Clarkson won the ball in the middle of the pitch and beat four players before drawing the keeper but his effort was narrowly wide. Kyle Fox made a great tackle to ensure that Steeton became the first side this season to stop Littletown scoring.

Joe Park was enjoying his return to the first team following an injury sustained in the opening game of the season. He combined well with Butterfield to win a corner when it looked as though Butterfield had been fouled from behind.

It was all academic as Casey Douthwaite swung in a great corner and Rooke rose at the far post to head in a fifth and ensure Steeton finish the season in the top four.

Boss Roy Mason said: "It was a real performance of character, given the disappointment of losing two semi-finals. It would have been easy to have just played the season out but the players were determined to finish the season on a high and I couldn't have asked anymore from them on Saturday."

They round off their campaign on Friday night with a trip to Campion.

Steeton: Mahomet, Mason (K Fox), Scott (Park), Morgan, Rooke, Adam Smith, Holden, Butterfield, Clarkson, Yates, Briggs (Douthwaite).