Yorkshire Division One:

North Ribblesdale 12

York 36

NORTH Ribblesdale lost this game due to some weak tackling but started so well that it looked as though they could get something out of it.

However, after having territory for ten minutes and winning two penalties – one of which was missed from long distance and the other from short distance – a soft turnover gave the visitors unexpected possession.

York's beefy left wing Tom Newitt beat three men in a small space and was confronted by the home full back, who he chipped to regather and go under the posts to put York ahead, Liam Hessay converting to make it 7-0.

Shortly after, York's skipper Chris Fox made a burst up the pitch, helped by indifferent tackling.

He was pulled down but recycled ball went to Hugh Nicholson, who touched down for an unconverted try.

Ribb looked in some difficulty at 12-0 down as their back row was not winning loose ball and York had some powerful runners.

If it was not for Ribb's centres, York would have been further ahead.

Another try seemed certain but Ribb weathered the storm and started to win some ball.

York were caught in possession by Richard Wood and were penalised.

Mick Thwaite put the ball into the corner.

Will Booth won the ball, Jonny Moore made a break and David Fox was on hand to score next to the posts, but the conversion was missed.

York kicked deep and pressured Ribb. who were forced to kick for touch.

From the line-out, scrum half Toby Atkin beat the back row and scored under the posts, with the conversion putting Ribb 19-5 down.

Ribb then had a good spell up to half- time, with Moore making two clear breaks, but York cleared and won a line-out, Atkin making a break to put Hessay in and take the score to 26-7.

On the stroke of half-time, Ribb were pressing into York's 22 and won a penalty, which they scrummed to push York over to finish the half at 26-12, with No 8 Will Thwaite getting the touchdown.

The second half was a disappointment for the hosts.

They normally play better towards the clubhouse but in the second half they were kept at a distance by York, who scored a good try by Hessay and rounded off the scoring with another try by Nicholson.

York, who are battling with West Leeds for a play-off berth, had got what they came for, which was a bonus-point win, and for the rest of the half they simply contained Ribb.

Ribb for their part could have a bonus point themselves with two more tries but could not make any headway, and the game drifted to a close.

This was a setback for Ribb, who have improved with the return of several players, such as Nathan Dakin, who is back from long-term injury.

They face champions Bridlington away on Saturday.