A 16-YEAR-old Cross Hills boy hit by a train near Kildwick level crossing last October took his own life, an inquest heard.

Coroner Rob Turnbull recorded the verdict on Aidan Blake Russell Mazurke after reading statements from his friends about events leading up to the incident.

The Keighley College student also left a note which was found by a family member. His anxious mother had called police when he did not return home that night.

British Transport Police, called after Aidan’s body was found on the railway track, were initially unaware it was that of the missing boy.

The inquest into Aidan’s death on October 16 at about 10.48pm was held on Tuesday at Harrogate Justice Centre and was attended by family members, including his mother Janine and his stepfather Robert Mazurke.

Rob Turnbull, senior coroner for the Western Area, said Aidan had died from massive injuries after being hit by the Leeds to Skipton train.

Mr Turnbull outlined Aidan’s life and the events leading up to his death by reading statements from his mother, his long-time girlfriend and his friend, who all saw him in the hours before his death.

Mr Turnbull said Aidan was born on June 21, 2001. He attended primary schools first in Saltaire then Sutton, and moved up to South Craven School in Cross Hills in 2012, where he became a keen swimmer and diver. He enrolled at Keighley College last autumn and was enjoying his studies.

Aidan’s mother's statement told how on October 16 he had gone out at about 6.30pm.

He returned home and played on his PlayStation, but went out again at about 10pm, without saying anything. His mother thought he was going for a cigarette.

Aidan’s mother became concerned when her son did not return, and after texting his friends to check where he might be, she reported him missing to police.

Train driver James Padgett told the inquest that he was driving the last train of the night from Leeds to Skipton and was travelling at about 80mph as he prepared to slow down for Cononley station.

He saw a dark shape for a split second and realised he had hit something, so he stopped the train and walked back to check what it was.

Sgt Jackson, of the British Transport Police, said he was summoned to the scene at 11.20pm. His officers carried out preliminary investigations in “extremely dark and windy” conditions, and returned the next day for a more detailed search.

Sgt Jackson said Aidan had been hit by the train about 15 yards from the Station Road bridge on the Keighley side, about 200 yards from the Kildwick level crossing.

Recording a verdict of suicide, Mr Turnbull said no blame could be apportioned to anyone.

He said: “Aidan was a normal 16-year-old, but something happened on October 16 which caused him to lose control. He returned home and seemed to be okay.

“Later that same evening he left his home, he was dressed in dark clothing, and he proceeded to the railway track.”