Settle United 0 Rimington 0 (6-5 pens)

SETTLE United secured won the Craven Cup for the first time in 29 years after defeating Rimington 6-5 in sudden-death penalty shoot out.

The game was played at Gargrave on a lush surface conducive for passing football and finished goalless after 90 minutes.

Rimington started the game the brighter and their wingers were tormenting the Settle defence and supplying numerous crosses into Settle's area that just lacked the finishing touch.

Settle went closest to scoring in the first period when a towering header from Elliot Firth was cleared off the line.

Settle, having continuously given the ball away in the first half changed a couple of players round after the break which allowed them to use the ball better.

Settle had the ball in the net through Danny Bathers in the 57th minute only for the assistant's flag to be raised for offside.

A Bather's corner was then headed against the bar by the unfortunate Firth.

Rimington had a chance when Dylan Kiss went through on goal, only for John Hughes in the Settle goal to come out and smother the ball at his feet.

Rimington's Matt Bagot had a couple of efforts that went wide when maybe he should have done better.

Graeme Kershaw in the Rimington goal was lucky to only receive a yellow card when he kicked out at John Beckwith. This was a sign of the pressure now on Rimington as Settle continued to press.

The introduction of Matty Simpson for Settle further increased their stranglehold of the game, as his pace and power opened Rimington up on a couple of occasions.

The best chance of the game fell to Simpson when a through ball from Settle's player/manager David Worthington but his shot looped over the bar.

So 0-0 at full time and the game went straight to penalties. The first ten spot kicks were scored so it was now sudden death. Matthew Baines stepped up for Settle and produced the best penalty of the night, right into the top corner.

Rimington's sixth spot kick was fired high over the bar giving Settle the victory.