EMERGENCY services are currently dealing with a fire that broke out at The Old Swan Inn on High Street, Gargrave earlier this evening.

Firefighters rescued a man from the roof of the property and police have closed the A65 in both directions. The man, believed to be in his 50s, was taken to hospital.

Two fire appliances from Skipton have been joined by crews from Settle, Grassington, Earby, Harrogate, Lofthouse and Colne.

An aerial ladder has also been called in to help tackle the fire, which is believed to have broken out at about 6pm.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service is advising people to avoid the area and for nearby residents to keep doors and windows shut because of the amount of smoke.

Martyn Hughes, watch manager, based at Skipton, tweeted at just before 8pm that firefighters were dealing with a fire in Gargrave and that all persons were accounted for.

He said: "Firefighters rescued a person from the roof of the property and are now using breathing apparatus, hoses, and an aerial ladder platform to extinguish the flames."

Just before 9pm, Mr Hughes added: "Firefighters from Skipton, Grassington, Harrogate, and Lofthouse, along with friends from Earby, and Colne, Yorks Ambulance and North Yorkshire Police remain on scene and are expected to be so for quite some time.

"The A65 continues to remain closed. Apologies for any inconvenience."