HOW narrow this part of Broughton Road looks when Dewhurst’s Cotton Mill was still in operation and the former Welfare Hall, on the left of the photograph, was still standing.

The original mill was purpose built for cotton and opened in 1829 as a spinning and weaving operation by John Dewhurst & Sons.

The premises provided work for many Craven folk though did suffer a set-back after it was gutted by fire in 1831.

The sign strung across the road read: ‘The super new sewing thread from the makers of Sylko’.

Picture by kind permission of the Ellwood family, Mrs V Rowley, North Yorkshire County Council and Skipton library.

Today the view of this part of town is very different. Gone is the Welfare Building and the old mill has been converted sympathetically into a range of offices - including home to Craven District Council - apartments and car parking.

Many people mourn the loss of the landmark chimney which could be seen from miles away.