THIS old picture was taken around 1958 and shows the large former Co-op store in Swadford Street, Skipton.

It was a popular destination for household items as well as food and groceries. The staff in the ground floor food area were renowned for being friendly and helpful and several worked there for many years.

Many mourned the loss of the old Co-op. It was a good place to spend all those Co-op stamps we saved.

The front of the building has been changed and today it is home to a different store, one of the few retail premises which has been able to remain open during the last three lockdowns.

Prior to Boyes taking over the site - part of the ground-floor now being Poundland and Ponden Mill- the upstairs housed a cafe, furniture display area and a number of high street named outlets selling shoes, fashion and lingerie.

The sweeping staircase remains to access the upstairs.

Reproduced by permission of the Ellwood family, Mrs V Rowley, North Yorkshire County Council and Skipton library.