We’re not sure which came first here, HO Walker Boot Maker and Co shop, or the stone gents’ urinal by the lamp post in the picture.

The photo is not dated but looks to be around the early 1900s.

The shop, and urinal. was situated at the entrance to Waller Hill, which is now part of the bus station car park.

Comments on the picture on the Rowley site suggest the shop continued until 1979 when that area of Skipton was flooded.

Sadly the shop was flooded too and never reopened.

The HO stood for Henry Ovington who was born in Skipton in 1859. His wife was Marie Walker.

A urinal would not be held in high favour today, nor the deep gully next to the shop leading to the beck.

Picture: The Rowley Ellwood Collection.