CANDLES caused a fire which started in a greenhouse and spread to a shed, North Yorkshire firefighters have said.

Crews from Bentham and Settle were called out at 3.50am yesterday, May 7, to Bank Bottom, Ingleton.

The greenhouse was completely destroyed while damage was caused to the shed which contained a fridge-freezer.

A spokesman said the cause was candles which had been lit in the greenhouse to stop the frost from affecting the plants growing in there.

Crews used two breathing apparatus sets, two hose reel jets, small tools and a thermal imaging camera.