TWO brothers admitted causing actual bodily harm to a man who was going out with one of the brother’s former girlfriends.

Gary Booth, 40, of Barghs Meadow, High Bentham, and his brother Steven Booth, 35, of Lakeber Avenue, also High Bentham, pleaded guilty to assaulting Liam Duckett and causing him actual bodily harm on July 9 last year.

The attack occurred at around 9.45pm outside The Coach House pub, in Main Street, Bentham, magistrates sitting at Skipton were told.

Prosecuting, Martin Butterworth showed CCTV footage of the attack to the court which showed the two men attacking Mr Duckett as he was withdrawing money from a cash point.

Mr Butterworth said Mr Duckett required hospital treatment for a head wound and also sustained a broken tooth in the attack.

He said: “Mr Duckett went to use the cash machine and was approached by a man he didn’t know. Steven Booth approached him saying he wanted to have words and immediately assaults him. It appears that Steven Booth had been in a relationship with Mr Duckett’s girlfriend and had taken the break-up badly.

“Gary Booth gets involved and the assault lasts just less than two minutes. At one point Mr Duckett falls to the floor and gets up. It ended when other people came out of the pub.”

Mr Butterworth said he had a problem with the police statement which stated Mr Duckett was punched and kicked.

“As you can see from the CCTV there was no kicking and no weapon was used. But it was still a gang attack, in that it was two people on to one and it carried on for some time.

“Mr Duckett attended hospital and had a cut to the top of his head glued.” He said the men were of previous good character.

Defending, John Mewies reiterated there was no evidence of punching and kicking when the victim was on the ground and that if there was going to be any problem associated with a damaged tooth, costing £135 to repair, it would have manifested before now as the incident occurred 14 months ago.

“It was an unsavoury incident but did not result in any significant injury,” he said.

Magistrates said it was clear it was a ‘sustained and prolonged attack’ and was in a higher culpability category.

They sent the case to Bradford Crown Court on October 1 for sentencing and ordered pre-sentence reports.

The brothers were given unconditional bail until that date.