ANOTHER group of walkers which had become separated because they walked at different speeds had to be assisted by Clapham Cave Rescue Organisation after getting lost.

The group, one male and four females aged between 22 and 41, was reported 'lost on the final peak' of the Yorkshire Three Peaks Walk on Saturday at 8.52pm.

A spokesman for the organisation said: "Although North Yorkshire Police elicited their location at the time of the call (at the top of Sulber Nick), the duty controller was unable to get through to any of their three mobile phones, so was unable to guide them off the hill verbally.

"While one team member walked in from Selside, two drove up to the Beecroft Hall track in a CRO vehicle. Then telephone contact was made and lights could be seen coming down the path. Two of the 'missing persons' were happy to walk back down to Horton with a CRO member, while three who were really suffering were driven back in the team Land Rover."

The CRO added: "The five walkers had set out as part of a larger group, but the others had been moving much faster, so the group split into two on Penyghent. Unfortunately, the fast group took the only maps. Although the ‘slow’ group had some head torches, they were not always able to see the path surface safely on the descent from Ingleborough. It is to their credit that this group stayed together. Had they not done so, the consequences might have been more serious."

Total volunteer hours, eight.

The next day rescuers were called out after female walker, 37, was reported to have fallen with a head injury at the 'top of rocks 1/4 mile past Gordale Farm, Gordale Scar.'

The incident was reported on Sunday at 3.17pm.

Yorkshire Ambulance Service had been unable to obtain a better fix as the call kept dropping out, a Cave Rescue Organisation spokesman said.

He added: "CRO could not return the call or acquire a location using the PhoneFind app, so team members headed to both top and bottom of Gordale Scar. However, before they arrived on scene, the duty controller succeeded in speaking to the original caller because she and her injured companion had walked out from the Scar towards the farm and met the YAS ambulance crew. The team stood down.

"It is understood that the walkers had been descending the waterfall scramble and the fall had occurred near the bottom."

Total volunteer hours - eight.