PART of a man's ear was bitten off in a "sickening" attack on a train.

Three men have been sentenced for their part in the assault, following a British Transport Police investigation.

They are Thomas Scott, of Meadow Lea, Sutton-in-Craven,  Marley Hollings, of Skipton Road, Barnoldswick, and Kyle Smith, of Rowling Hollins, Colne.

Leeds Crown Court heard how, on Wednesday, December 21, 2022, the victim, then 29, was travelling on a service from Leeds to Skipton when he shouted at three men.

He told them to shut up after they caused a commotion and upset other passengers, with Hollings, 28, at one point shouting 'bomb' while throwing a vape down the carriage.

The three then attacked the victim, repeatedly punching and kicking him in the head, in a sustained attack that spilled over onto seats where passengers were sitting.

While other passengers attempted to pull the three men off the victim, Hollings bit off half the victim's ear and spat it out.

All three then left the train at Leeds.

The victim went to hospital to undergo surgery, in a failed attempt to reattach his ear.

Smith, 27, was arrested shortly after the attack as he attempted to leave the station.

Hollings was arrested the following day at his home address and Scott, 31, contacted police and handed himself in.

Investigating officer DC Liam Brown said: "This was a sickening and vicious assault and one which has left the victim not just with significant physical injuries and scarring but also seriously affected his mental health and he remains traumatised.

"This mob mentality of making others feel intimidated and uncomfortable along with a belief that they can do as they please without consequences will not be tolerated.

"This random violent attack has landed Hollings with a significant sentence and his cohorts with suspended sentences which, it is hoped, will prevent them from committing further acts of violence."

Hollings pleaded guilty to wounding with intent and was jailed for three years and nine months at Leeds Crown Court on Wednesday, November 29.

Smith and Scott both pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm without intent.

Scott was sentenced to 18 months in jail, suspended for 18 months, and ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work.

Smith received a 15-month sentence, which was suspended for 18 months, and was ordered to carry out 120 hours of unpaid work.

Both must pay a victim surcharge of £187 and were made the subjects of an electronic tag curfew from 9pm to 6am.