Schoolgirl cancer victim Chloe Oldfield was determined to prove doctors wrong when they said she might have just six months to live.

Two days before an operation to remove a second brain tumour, the girl with a wicked sense of humour had been partying with all her friends on her 15th birthday.

And only three days after surgery, she was out with them again – at a Girls Aloud concert.

The Skipton Girls’ High School student, whose family live in Barnoldswick, fought on and on, whatever the disease threw at her. And she was still battling the cancer 18 months after the doctors’ grim prediction.

But, on Saturday, the three-year fight finally came to an end. Her parents, Catherine and Philip, were at her bedside at the family home when she died at the age of 16.

They and Chloe’s 14-year-old brother Henry say they take comfort from the fact that Chloe achieved her wish to die at home and they all had time to say goodbye to their “slightly bossy, highly organised and much-loved daughter and sister”.

Chloe was diagnosed with hepatacellular carcinoma – a very rare and aggressive form of liver cancer – in March 2007 and underwent a 12-week course of intensive chemotherapy at The Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital in Pendlebury.

Towards the end of the treatment, her liver started to fail and, with a transplant her only hope, she was transferred to the Children’s Regional Liver Unit at St James’s in Leeds and put on the waiting list. Nine weeks later a new liver was identified and the transplant went ahead.

Chloe reacted well, but after three months, in July 2008, X-rays confirmed shadows on her lungs.

The family had been due to go on holiday the following month, but brought forward their plans and flew to Kos.

It was there that Chloe was taken ill and had to be flown home after a brain tumour was diagnosed.

The tumour was successfully removed, but a week later Chloe’s parents were told a second one had been discovered.

That was when they organised a massive 15th birthday party for her, just two days before the operation. Three days after surgery, Chloe was at the Girls Aloud concert.

“She was very determined and never gave in to her illness,” said her mum.

It was at that stage doctors warned Chloe might only have six months left.

She battled on for three times that long.

It was not an easy 18 months as she endured repeated radiotherapy sessions and a daily drugs cocktail as the cancer spread, but Chloe was insistent that each day should be lived to the full.

She enjoyed holidays at home and abroad and continued to do well in her studies, gaining A-grade GCSEs in RE and ICT last year. Just a few weeks ago, despite rapidly failing health, Chloe visited school to take two further GCSE exams in additional physics and chemistry.

“She was driven by her schoolwork and teachers at the school were really supportive,” said Mr Oldfield.

The couple say they take some comfort from the fact that Chloe is now free of all the pain and suffering.

“She was our strength, so determined and so very courageous throughout,” they said. “People ask us how we cope, but we coped because she coped. She never gave in. Even at the end she was still fighting.”

Mrs Oldfield talked about her daughter’s wicked sense of humour and the pragmatic way she dealt with her illness.

Chloe’s funeral will take place at All Saints’ Church, Earby, on Tuesday at 1.30pm, followed by burial in Ghyll Cemetery.

The service will include Chloe’s personal tribute to the donor of the liver which everyone hoped would give her new life. The family say everyone is welcome to attend the funeral and a reception afterwards at the Rolls-Royce Social Club.

Chloe wanted any money raised in donations to be split between the Bosom Friends cancer support group and the Local Charities Support Group, both of which supported her and her family during her illness.

An account has been set up at the Yorkshire Bank for anyone wishing to donate. The account details are: Chloe’s Chosen Charities’ Fund – sort code: 05-02-22; account number: 36161050.

As Chloe loved flowers, Barnoldswick florist Val Kenyon has also pledged a percentage of any money spent there on flowers for her funeral to the fund.

Mr and Mrs Oldfield thanked family and friends for their support, words of kindness and prayers over the past three years.

They also thanked Chloe’s consultant Eddy Estlin, Macmillan nurse Eileen Hupton, the local district nurses and Earby GPs, Whitworth’s Pharmacy and all at St James’s Hospital for their tremendous support.