West Riding County Amateur League Premier Division: Lower Hopton 2 Steeton 3

THE OLD adage that the game is never over until the final whistle rang true as two injury-time goals saw Steeton snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

It looked as if the Chevrons' efforts would go unrewarded but their never-say-die attitude saw goals from Sam Rooke and Andy Briggs saw them turn the game on its head.

The visitors made one change from the side that knocked Knaresborough out of the County Cup the previous week, with Rory Judd coming in for the unavailable Michael Rhodes.

Rooke was handed the captain's armband on his 250th appearance for the club.

The visitors started the brighter but Lower Hopton took the lead with a neat finish.

Ben Clarkson went close and Ben Richardson’s corner eluded everyone and came back off the post. Andy Holden whipped in a great free-kick, and Briggs and Clarkson combined to leave Rooke chance to strike but his shot was blocked.

Steeton did level though as Tim Hird crossed from the right and Jonah Smith flicked the ball into Briggs’ path and he made no mistake from close range.

Hopton were not on level terms for long as straight from the kick-off they pounced on hesitancy in the Steeton defence to regain the lead.

Joe Mash suffered a kick in face as he looked to block and the Steeton keeper was only able to carry on following lengthy treatment.

The second half saw Steeton look sharper. Smith should have levelled in the first minute as a great through ball from Steve Pearson saw him draw the keeper but his effort was wide of the target.

The keeper then did well to save from Briggs and Clarkson as the visitors camped in the Lower Hopton half.

A deep cross from Elliot Briggs was headed just wide by Clarkson and it seemed as if it wouldn't be Steeton’s day. This was compounded when Smith reacted following a foul and was shown a straight red. In the melee that ensued, a Lower Hopton player was also dismissed after receiving a second yellow card.

Steeton threw Rooke up front with the clock now showing 91 minutes. Toby Jeffrey beat his man down the right and played in a lovely cross that Rooke flicked past the advancing keeper to level things up.

Mash then had to make a great save to keep Steeton on level terms but there was more drama to come. Joe Park made a great run down the left and his cross was met by Briggs, who headed powerfully into the net in the 95th minute to spark jubilant scenes.

Steeton boss Roy Mason said: "It was a great game for the neutrals if not the managers!

"We showed a never-say-die attitude and I couldn't have been happier with the lads' performance.

"Despite the fact we scored two late goals, I felt we were good value for the win anyway given the way we had performed for the majority of the game."

Steeton: Mash, Judd (Morgan), Scott (Jeffrey), Rooke, Pearson, Hird, Holden, J Smith, Clarkson, Briggs, Richardson (Park).