Hallmark Security League Division One: Sandbach 3 Silsden 1

THREE goals in the last 20 minutes saw leaders Silsden suffer only their third league defeat of the season.

The Cobbydalers travelled to Sandbach on the back of a 6-0 thrashing of Chadderton, while the Cheshire outfit had suffered defeats against Abbey Hulton and St Helens in their last two games.

Kyle Hancock returned for the Yorkshire side after suspension but unfortunately lasted only 17 minutes after suffering a hamstring injury. He was replaced by Luke Rhodes.

On five minutes Chris Wademan was tripped in the Sandbach goal area but the match official waved play on. Ryan Moss then saved an effort from Joe Gaughan who had been set up by Hancock. Midway through the half Sandbach’s Ryan Allcock wasted a golden chance after being set up by his team-mate.

Mateusz Tomas was causing the home defence problems but when he slid the ball into the path of Arley Barnes, the midfielder shot over the bar.

Rhodes had a header blocked before Silsden took the lead on 38 minutes when Wademan used his body strength to brush aside a defender before hitting a low shot wide of the keeper into the bottom corner. Barnes had a shot blocked before the half-time whistle went.

The wind which had favoured the home side in the first half dropped and Sandbach broke forward but goalkeeper Callum Jakovlevs prevented them from equalising when he blocked a shot with his feet.

On 60 minutes Dan Illingworth replaced Mark Trueman but it proved an unhappy return for the centre back. Silsden should have gone 2-0 up, with Gaughan and Rhodes going close, but Sandbach broke down the left and when Allcock crossed the ball in, Illingworth slipped and Stuart Tulloch equalised on 70 minutes.

Sandbach were in the ascendency and, although Silsden huffed and puffed, they failed to break down the home defence. Illingworth was beaten again on 77 minutes when he was jumped on by Chris Stockton, who put the home side in the lead.

Silsden pushed for an equaliser but the Cheshire side were always dangerous on the break. In the 90th minute, Jakovlevs went up for a corner but the ball was cleared and Allcock made it 3-1 to the home side on the counter-attack.

Nearest challengers Litherland beat Eccleshall 2-0 to close the gap at the top but the Cobbydalers still have a nine-point advantage ahead of their home game with Eccleshall on Saturday.

Silsden: Jakovlevs, Moses, Kendall, Kaine, Bentham, Trueman, Barnes, Hancock, Wademan, Gaughan, Tomas.