Skipton 15 Sheffield Medicals 14

SKIPTON secured another win in Yorkshire 3 after Te Rasmussen Neha slotted home a penalty four minutes from time. The result had the home crowd on their feet in appreciation of a full-on and determined performance by the Reds.

The Medics kicked off on a still and calm day at Sandylands, in sharp contrast to the easterly blizzard of the previous week. Skipton made a bad start though, suffering an injury blow just minutes into the contest.

Hooker Ryan Chafer suffered a knee problem which forced him to leave the field. Smith Brown came on in the back row and Charlie Brown took over at No. 2.

The early period of the game was quiet, with both sides exchanging penalties, until Skipton won a scrum against the head.

A great break by No. 8 Harry McEneaney saw quick hands ship the ball out but an interception by the Medics was only halted by a try-saving tackle from full-back Jack McLeod.

The Medics then received the first of their yellow cards for a cynical, deliberate knock-on which denied Skipton a try. A yellow card a few minutes later for Charlie Brown, for a similar offence, did not help Skipton's cause.

The penalty attempt by the Medics was knocked-on in goal by Skipton. From the resultant scrum the visitors were over for the opening try of the game, which they converted, and the sides turned round at 7-0 to the Medics.

The half-time team talk put both sides into overdrive, with a break-away try by McLeod for Skipton being countered by a close-range try for the Medics following strong forward pressure. The Medics converted their try to lead by 14-5.

Skipton coach Craig Bartlett then brought winger Josh Smith on to replace James Akers and Luke Daniels on for centre Jon Currie.

Within minutes, the changes proved effective. Smith was fed by opposite winger George Smithson and he went over following great forward work. Stand-off Neha added the extra points.

Coach Bartlett brought forward Harry Maltby on to augment the back-row and he was instrumental in gaining a Skipton penalty following a Medics obstruction.

A second yellow card for the visitors soon followed for yet another deliberate knock-on. Neha kicked for the corner but the Skipton forwards just could not get over from the line-out.

In the last phase of play though, the Medics were penalised for a high tackle. Neha slotted the attempt at goal through the posts to the rapture of the Sandylands crowd.