Silsden AFC 5

Holker Old Boys 0

SILSDEN manager Danny Forrest says he was overwhelmed as his side sealed the Hallmark Security League Division One title in their final game of the season.

Litherland REMYCA, their only challengers for the title, were held to a draw at third-placed Prestwich Heys but, by then, the Yorkshiremen were celebrating.

The cup was presented to skipper Josh Kaine by league vice-president Geoff Wilkinson.

Forrest said: "It's unbelievable, I'm a bit lost for words and don't quite know what to say about today. I'm overwhelmed.

"For the amount of work the lads have put in, and the amount that I have demanded from them, today has made it all worthwhile.

"The first 17 games we won (in succession at the start of the season) get spoken about a lot, but for me, the last 17 games were just as important.

"We lost 2-0 to Whitchurch Alport, were down to nine men, and lost Joe Gaughan for the remainder of the season, and we had teams breathing down our necks.

When the pressure is on and the lads had to produce, they did, so for me it was probably that last 17 games that was the more impressive.

"But the way the lads responded and dealt with those last 17 games was pretty unbelievable really, 12 victories and four draws.

"The loss at Cammel Laird on Saturday gave us the opportunity to seal the title before our own fans. Magic.

"It's been a great day for me personally, and tops anything I've experienced in football."

Having lost the previous Saturday at Cammell Laird, the Reds needed a victory against one of only five teams to have beaten them this season, Holker Old Boys.

The Cobbydalers were soon on the attack in Monday's clash with Aidan Kirby going close in the third minute.

Mark Everingham then broke up the left and slid the ball to Reece Kendal. A super cross was headed over before Silsden took the lead. Arley Barnes hit a free-kick beyond the far post. Kendal rose above the Old Boys’ defence to head home.

The visitors were pushed back as Silsden sought a second goal. Wademan and Niall Sultan had crosses cleared and Barnes sliced a shot wide before Matty Moses hit a superb ball to Wademan, who pulled it down before shooting to the far post. Harry Copeland saved for a corner.

Holker, just as they had done in the corresponding match earlier in the season, were content to sit back in numbers but midway through the half they almost scored. Kaine’s clearance from the penalty area struck a team-mate but the alert Callum Jakovlevs saved low down at the post.

Silsden began to dominate possession and territory again. Wademan burst past Tom Heywood, his shot was deflected for a corner.

Kaine hit a super ball to Aidan Kirby, who fed Sultan.

On the stroke of half-time news came in of Litherland taking a 1-0 lead at Prestwich.

The Cobbydalers were facing the bulk of their fans camped in the Holker half. The visitors held on for another 15 minutes before a low shot from Barnes was fumbled by Copeland.

Kirby broke through but his shot went over the bar. Luke Rhodes headed wide. Everingham then hit a superb ball to Sultan to make it three.

Kirby made it four with a superbly crafted goal, his 12th in as many games.

Kaine headed Arron Davis’ cross wide and, with Wademan challenging him, Woodend nearly netted an own goal. On the stroke of the final whistle the Cobbydalers got a fifth. Wademan was just beaten by a Holker defender who knocked the ball into the net.