Holker Old Boys 1

Steeton 2

STEETON kicked off their first season in the Hallmark Security League Premier Division One with a victory thanks to goals from Angus Manley and Andy Briggs.

The game started slowly as far as the hosts were concerned, with Steeton coming quicker out of the blocks, Elliot Scott's cross caused problems in the Holker box as the home defence failed to clear initially before the ball rebounded off Briggs' chest and safely out for a goal-kick.

The first real foray by the hosts came almost 20 minutes in. The impressive Tyler Wood strode through the midfield and bore down on goal, but he wasn't able to catch his shot and Alfie Stevens-Neale fielded the tame effort.

The theme of Steeton's first half was crosses into the box to cause trouble, something Toby Jeffrey did. This caused Holker goalkeeper Ross Liddicott to panic as he was only able to grab at the second attempt.

It was the Old Boys who were trying pot-shots from the edge of the box, none of which troubled Stevens-Neale in the goal. Firstly, Wood fired wide before Kevin Watkin dragged his effort a couple of yards the wrong side of the post.

Then came the opening goal, a historic moment for the club as Joe Mason and Toby Jeffrey combined on the right-hand side and Jeffrey’s superb cross was met by Maney, as he rose above his marker at the back post and saw his header crash into the back of the net.

The joy was short-lived, however, the hosts hit back within five minutes of Maney's goal as Nathan Reid lined one up outside the box and left the goalkeeper with no chance as his shot ended up in the top corner for the equaliser.

The final 10 minutes of the half was once again even as both sides looked to gain the lead, Stevens-Neale sweeping well off his line and Steeton having a penalty appeal turned down late in the half as Andy Briggs went down in the area.

The first noteworthy event of the second period came courtesy of a fantastic defensive tackle to thwart Aaron Hollindrake.

With skipper Tim Hird and debutant Jordan Wilmore getting a foothold in the midfield, Steeton were starting to get back into the game.

Briggs and Hollindrake each had a sighter in the next couple of minutes with Briggs trying to catch the keeper off-guard. However, his attempt was easily saved, before Hollindrake spotted him off his line but it was well watched as the sides remained deadlocked.

It would only remain that way for a few seconds more, as the two combined this time, with Hollindrake standing up a terrific ball at the back post, leaving Briggs with the simple enough task of nodding home to edge the Chevrons back in front.

That proved to be Briggs' last involvement in the match with Ben Clarkson being introduced from the bench for the final 19 minutes.

Jeffrey then sent Clarkson through and as he bore down on goal he was met by the keeper, yet Clarkson's tame chip was plucked out of the air as Steeton looked to increase their advantage.

Clarkson was again the centre of action but this time he fired just wide after good pressure by Liddicott. Nathan McHugh, introduced for the hosts, could only skew his mis-hit effort over the bar as Steeton looked to hold on.

The Chevrons looked dangerous on the counter in the closing stages, Hollindrake and Jeffrey with further efforts thwarted by a mixture of defence and goalkeeper.

Steeton: Stevens-Neale, Mason, Scott, Morgan, Leach, Hird (c), Jeffrey, Wilmore, Hollindrake, Briggs (Clarkson 71), Maney. Unused: Tidswell, Walker, Hudson.