Charnock Richard 2 Barnoldswick Town 0

BARNOLDSWICK Town finished the opening game of the season with nine men after a feisty Hallmark Security League Premier Division encounter.

Marc Young received a straight red card in the 58th minute for an incident which led to Charnock Richard receiving a penalty, while substitute Nathan Emery was shown a second yellow card in the final minute for a rash challenge.

Jake McEneaney and Joel Melia also received yellow cards along with five members of the home side on a disappointing afternoon for new boss Matt Barnes.

Town started promisingly and their pressing game caused problems for the home defence which did a good job of protecting goalkeeper Connor King who had spent last season on loan at Barnoldswick.

The new Town keeper Tom McDonald had to be alert to come off his line and thwart Ashley Stott as the home side looked to make an early breakthrough.

Jack Coop was denied a shooting chance by a timely tackle before the dangerous Carl Grimshaw fired a shot over the Town bar before

McDonald showed his agility when he saved well when Grimshaw met a Nathan Fairhurst corner with a powerful header,

Charnock dominated the later stages of the first half and continued their momentum after the break.

The 56th minute proved to be pivotal. Marc Young and Charnock’s Jack Sanders were cautioned after an incident at a corner.

From the next flag kick, Sanders was flattened by Young to concede a penalty and collect a red card.

That man McDonald proved equal to Grimshaw’s penalty, but he couldn’t prevent the striker from opening the scoring two minutes later.

A corner wasn’t properly cleared and when it was returned to the back post Grimshaw pounced.

Barnoldswick’s10 men struggled as Charnock took control. McDonald saved a long shot from James Walker but was left with no cover when Grimshaw burst through to net his second goal after 85 minutes.

After 76 minutes James Walker hit a powerful shot from 35 yards that McDonald managed to get a hand to and the ball spun just past the post.

The win was finally confirmed after 85 minutes when the visiting defence went absent and Grimshaw went clear to beat McDonald to score his second goal.

Barnoldswick produced a late rally and Melia produced a shot from the right that sped across the face of the goal, but a disappointing afternoon was crowned when Emery received his marching orders.