Bootle 2

Silsden 0

SILSDEN travelled to Bootle last night determined to put Saturday’s 5-0 Hallmark Security League Premier Division defeat at 1874 Northwich behind them.

They were buoyed by the return of Joe Gaughan, Reece Lyndon and Arley Barnes. Bootle, who had beaten Barlick 4-0 on Saturday, had moved into fourth place in the table three points behind Silsden.

The game flowed from end to end with defences on both sides managing to thwart pacey and inventive attacks. Silsden looked lively with Niall Sultan looking sharp, but his shot was cleared after he was set up by Aidan Kirby.

Josh Kaine broke up Bootle’s first attack before right-back Steve Hoy hit a long diagonal ball to Ryan Cox. The winger shot wide.

At the other end a move involving Silsden boss Danny Forrest and Gaughan ended with Reece Lyndon’s header being cleared in the goal area. Again Kaine intercepted another through ball.

Forrest fed Reece Kendall down the left but his cross was overhit. Kaine superb tackle on Carl Peers denied the Bucks a strike on goal.

A mistake in the Silsden defence allowed Peers a chance but the striker hit it over the bar.

At the back, Craig Bentham’s composure broke up another attack. Niall Sultan burst down the right and crossed into the box. Gaughan chested it down but Kirby’s shot was a foot wide. Lee saved Hickey’s low shot at the other end.

The game changed when Kaine was dismissed. Kaine and Cox were chasing down a Bootle through ball. In a coming together the Silsden skipper caught Cox who went down. A free-kick was given but Kaine was shown the red card. Steven Jones’ free kick was comfortably saved by Lee.

Silsden went close when Reece Kendall hit a ball to Kirby who fed Gaughan. His shot just cleared the bar.

The second half began with two Silsden attacks. Sultan had a shot blocked and a superb move involving Forrest, Sultan, Gaughan and Rhodes was broken up at the expense of a corner. The 10 men were holding their own.

On 56 minutes, Will Storrie replaced Forrest. Sultan broke down the right and crossed. Storrie burst in the goal area but headed the ball over.

The Bucks' response was swift and only the midriff of Barnes prevented Steven Hoy giving them the lead.

Lee saved another effort from Hoy at his near post. With 20 minutes left Gaughan, who was defending, tried to head the ball back to his keeper. Cox intercepted it and slotted in the opener. Gaughan tried to atone for his error at the other end but his shot was blocked.

Five minutes later the Bucks went two up. Hoy hit a perfect ball to Jones who took the ball on his chest before lashing a volley into the top corner of the Silsden goal.

The Cobbydalers still thought they had a chance but Kirby had an effort cleared off the line and Lyndon headed Everingham’s corner wide.