Silsden 3

Bedlington Terriers 1

A JOE Gaughan brace midway through the second half helped the Cobbydalers to progress into the third round of the Buildbase FA Vase for the first time in their history.

A third by Aidan Kirby settled the issue after Bedlington Terriers had taken the lead on two minutes.

With Arley Barnes out for three weeks, Silsden manager Danny Forrest re-signed Mark Trueman to bolster the midfield, which included home debutant Richard Ainscough and Luke Rhodes.

The visitors were soon on the attack, with Adam Harvey having a shot in the first minute.

A minute later Reece Lyndon blocked a shot but failed to clear the ball and Ronnie Jones blasted it home. Silsden were stunned and when Rhodes under-hit a cross-field pass, Dylan Williamson intercepted the ball. Fortunately Sammy Lee was quickly off his goalline to smother the ball.

Silsden were still under pressure and, as Reece Kendall burst forwards, Williamson exploited the space left behind. Lyndon managed to get in a tackle. Silsden finally settled and Lyndon slid a through ball to Kirby. The striker’s pace saw him face to face with keeper Sean McCafferty. Kirby drifted to the left but his shot went agonisingly wide.

The pressure was maintained, with Gaughan almost finding Kirby in the clear, before Trueman’s corner caused some panic. Kendall had failed to reach the ball which then fell to Lyndon. He shot wide from close range. Once again Kendall was in an advanced position, leaving Williamson in the clear. The winger got past Lyndon but Lee blocked his shot.

Silsden’s best effort came when Kirby slid the ball to Gaughan. A deft back heal set up Rhodes but he fired over. Lyndon blasted Trueman’s next corner wide. Williamson still looked the main danger for the visitors but Kaine’s reading of the game denied him a chance to double the lead.

Ten minutes before the break, Trueman’s free-kick found Kendall, who fed Kirby. Again the effort was wide.

Two minutes later Cameron Fenton played a one-two with Williamson. Only a superb save by Lee denied the visitors going two up. On the stroke of half time Sultan and Kirby set up Gaughan. His shot was saved by the Bedlington keeper.

The second half began as the first one had finished, with the game flowing from end to end.

Rhodes broke into the Terriers’ area. His shot was blocked, so was Gaughan’s.

At the other end Lyndon cleared Jones’ effort off the line. Then, three minutes later, Lyndon denied the visitors yet again before Lee made a double save.

Silsden had ridden their luck. They began to create chances. Trueman was running the midfield. Two of his corners were punched clear before he curled a tempting chip into the danger area.

Gaughan read it and headed home. Sultan then brought a fine save from the keeper before, four minutes after his opener, Gaughan punished a defensive error to put the Yorkshiremen ahead.

A quick break by substitute Michael Bell saw him hit the post before Kirby fired over at the other end.

Wademan and Everingham came on for Sultan and Ainsworth.

Gaughan took a free-kick from the edge of the visitors’ area. The ball was blocked but Kirby was there to blast it home. Kirby’s last goal was the late equaliser at Staveley. He has been close to netting on a number of occasions since then but Lady Luck has been against him.

With the result looking more and more certain, Williamson was sent off for a dangerous tackle. Everingham shot over the bar and Bell hit the post again in stoppage time at the other end.

The Cobbydalers have never reached the third round of the Vase before, losing at this stage several times, including at Bedlington in 2004.