Skipton 2nds 31

Guisborough 2nds 10

SKIPTON'S 2nds ran in a convincing five-try victory over Guisborough in the opening round of the North Yorkshire Trophy in front of an appreciative Sandylands crowd.

The Reds got off to a good start with a drive by forwards Carl Nicholson and Andy Whitley pushing the visitors back and giving the home side good field position.

Skipton gained a penalty and a tap and run by full-back Andy Maclean was laid off to hooker Michael Murray who put back row Harry Maltby over for the home side's opening try. Kiwi signing Yvarne Carroll added the extra points.

An incursion by Skipton from the re-start gained them a further penalty. They tapped and ran again and good work by Maclean saw him bundled into touch.

The sides then exchanged penalties and Skipton eventually put the ball into the corner, with Whitley going in for try number two from the line-out. The conversion attempt drifted wide.

Despite robust play from the re-start by Skipton second row Aiden Procter, the home side lost possession and a kick and chase by the Guisborough winger put them over in the corner for their opening try. The touch line conversion attempt fell short.

Poor handling by Skipton in the next phase of play gave the ball away but the Guisborough clearance kick went out on the full, letting the home side off the hook, and Carroll cleared down field from the line-out.

Swift hands and a chip through put the ball dead but Skipton were immediately on the offensive from the 22 re-start and a well-worked move saw Murray over for try number three. The conversion attempt again drifted wide in the strong breeze.

The visitors back-line had pace and was used to good effect from the re-start with clean hands putting them over for a second unconverted try just before the break. Skipton suffered a blow with Carroll receiving a yellow card for a high tackle and the sides turned round at 17-10 to Skipton.

Prop Rob Morgan joined the Skipton forwards and Ben Brearley joined the back line for the second half.

The home side gained an early penalty for Guisborough not releasing. The attempt at goal went wide but Skipton were soon back on the attack and a sweet move from the base of the scrum saw Carroll over for Skipton's fourth try. He added the extra points himself.

The Skipton forwards began to dominate as the second half wore on. They put the ball into the corner from a penalty and a great forward drive was ended just short with a penalty to Guisborough on the line.

Skipton were soon back down field. Lee Shaw joined the back line at full-back and from a Skipton scrum five metres out swift hands put him over for the home side's fifth try. The conversion attempt was successful and Skipton stretched their lead to 31-10.

The last ten minutes belonged to the Skipton forwards. A late yellow card for a Guisborough prop did not help their cause and the Skipton second string emerged deserved winners of an entertaining game of rugby.