Silsden 2

Hanley Town 1

SILSDEN'S slump came to an end as they recorded their first Hallmark Security League Premier Division win in seven games.

Following the previous week’s home defeat to Irlam, Silsden boss Danny Forrest brought experienced Craig Bentham back into midfield, dropped Will Storrie back into right-back, along with skipper Josh Kaine replacing the injured Dan Illingworth and bringing the fit again Chris Wademan into midfield.

Initially both teams struggled to settle into their stride but the hosts looked the most likely and, after five minutes, Wademan went close when his cross-shot flashed across the six-yard box but went narrowly wide.

Although Silsden probably had the better of the early possession, neither side created any clear-cut goal-scoring opportunities causing either keeper to get their gloves dirty. Despite Silsden again going close with playmaker Joe Gaughan’s shot, again from the left-hand side of the box, a visiting defender managed to block to avert the danger.

Another free-kick from Niall Sultan found Bentham’s angled run, but his cross from the right byline was blocked and cleared by Hanley skipper Josh Thorpe. Sultan was booked for dissent following his foul, swiftly followed by Hanley’s Lees for another foul as the game started to deteriorate.

In the 42nd minute Hanley broke down the left courtesy of Callum Feeney’s sliced ball. Stanyer crossed dangerously finding the diminutive Lewis Salmon, who fluffed the chance under pressure from the vigilant Kaine and Lyndon.

As the game went from end to end, Gaughan broke free on the left and played a great ball across the six-yard box with nobody got a vital touch. Just before the half-time whistle Salmon’s header drifted wide of Lee’s right-hand post.

Five minutes into the second half Kirby’s attempt to break the visitors' back line was halted by the assistant’s flag, but he wasn’t to be denied in the 56th minute when he pursued a bouncing high ball in the Hanley half. He won the challenge before getting the ball down and dribbling from the left into a central position and striking at goal.

His shot taking a wicked deflection, looping up and over Mellor to open the scoring for the Cobbydalers.

Then, at the other end, Michael Keates stung Lee’s fingertips with a fierce drive cutting in from the right as he broke clear of the Silsden defence after possession was lost in midfield, the Cobbydalers custodian diverting away for a corner. The resulting corner was played over dangerously, but there was no Hanley player on hand to convert and the chance went begging.

As Silsden settled into the game in the second period, Storrie had a great run on the right, cut in and fired a low shot which appeared to take a deflection before Mellor collapsed low to his right to smother at his near post on 63 minutes.

Lee had to be alert minutes later to tip away Feeney’s goal-bound effort but, from the resulting corner, Conor’s flag kick evaded the Silsden defence and Keates tapped in from close range to level the scores at 1-1.

The visitors looked visibly lifted by the goal and sensed an opportunity, but Silsden held firm to weather the storm, looking for a more direct route to get their noses back in front again.

And they got their just rewards when, following yet another free-kick conceded on the right, Sultan’s long ball out left in the visitors' box found Gaughan’s header, which was diverted back into the path of Lyndon, who swept the ball into the roof of the net to make it 2-1.

Although Silsden pushed hard to find a third goal to kill the game off, Hanley’s direct approach was always a threat, and the locals had to keep their concentration and composure.

Lyndon was like a warrior surging forwards and his beautiful right-footed cross on one of his sorties into enemy lines found no team-mates in the danger area.

At the other end, Storrie and Kaine combined well to snuff out Salmon’s dangerous break down the left, with five minutes remaining.

Then Wademan fired his shot narrowly wide with the game stretched in the dying minutes.

But in added time, another Hanley break saw the ball land at Keates’ feet invitingly, but he scooped his shot over to miss a glorious chance to level the scores for the visitors.

Silsden: Lee, Storrie, Everingham, Kaine, Lyndon, Rhodes, Wademan, Bentham, Kirby, Gaughan, Sultan (Baldwin 83) Subs not used: Moses, Hardisty-Blackwell, Mitchell & Forrest.