North Ribblesdale 7

Leodiensian 13

NORTH Ribblesdale slumped to a disappointing loss at home to Leodiensian, old rivals who have not won at Ribb for 20 years.

The game was played with a strong wind down the pitch, which Ribb had the benefit of in the first half, and given the tight game Ribb's 7-3 lead at half-time did not seem to be enough.

Leos, who not only had some skilful backs but also matched Ribb up front, scored two second half tries to take the points.

Ribb had their moments in the second half but could not turn pressure into points. Although they spent long periods with their forwards battering away at the Leos' line, the visitors' defence held for a deserved win.

Ribb kicked off and kept Leos penned in their own half for the first ten minutes.

Jonny Moore and Ryan Sumner asked questions in the centre and Ribb were on top. They worked the ball free on the left and Freddie Howarth got round his man but was well tackled by the full back Haire.

From the line-out Leos cleared up to the ten metre line. Ribb won possession and kicked deep and right, a good follow up by Matt Speres caught Haire in possession. Leos won the ruck, but could only scramble the ball away to the 22.

Andrew Thwaite won a good line-out, and a dummy move across the line-out made space for Sumner to burst over for a try converted by Mick Thwaite.

Ten minutes later, Speres took a quick tap and burst into the 22. He was tackled and quick ball found Howarth on the wing. He got around his man again but was tackled into touch.

Leos had their best spell of the half in the ten minutes before half-time, culminating in a penalty by Porter to make it 7-3.

The second half started with Leos kicking deep. Ribb made a mess of the kick-off and conceded a scrum on the 22.

Leos kept up the pressure and after a series of forward drives got Porter over in the left corner for an unconverted try.

Ribb then had a good spell with strong carrying by Jim Tunney, Speres and Ray Fromm taking play into the Leos' 22.

Despite putting Leos on the back foot, Ribb slowed the ball down allowing the defence to regroup. This slow ball was a feature of the second half and allowed a tenacious Leos' defence to withstand the pressure.

Despite several spells of possession in the Leos' 22, Ribb made no headway crashing the ball into an eager defence.

After 20 minutes of the second half, a booming kick from Farmer turned the Ribb defence and only a fine cover tackle from Moore prevented a score.

Leos kept up the pressure and a series of forward drives culminated in a try by Lane to make it 13-7.

With ten minutes to play, a converted try would have sealed a win for Ribb.

Although they got into the Leos' 22 they could not get over, as their pick and drive tactic was easily repulsed.