Lower Breck 1

ANDY Briggs' goal was enough for a point for Steeton against Lower Breck in Hallmark Security League Division One North at Cougar Park.

Roy Mason's hosts started brighter, despite being goalless. However that only lasted eight minutes. A corner was swung in and Jonathon Swatton opened the goalscoring with an emphatic header.

Steeton had lost at Lower Breck a few weeks before, but their response here was more positive. Joe Mason's cross caused havoc and the resulting corner was recycled before Briggs, in rich form, headed over after 12 minutes.

Ben Clarkson and Ben Richardson were next to try their luck, Mason's side looking much more solid and having the lion's share of possession without testing the goalkeeper.

Then, in one of the more controversial decision seen this season, the visitors found themselves bearing down on Steeton goalkeeper Alfie Stevens-Neale, but the referee pulled it back on the halfway line, much to the dismay of the coaching staff on the visiting bench.

That was one of the last actions of the first-half, but for some good football leading to Elliot Scott being released, however he was unable to pick out a green shirt in the box.

Toby Rawcliffe added his name to the list of Steeton players to try their luck from the edge of the box, but he dragged his shot wide, much to his own frustration.

Another bizarre moment came when the visiting goalkeeper cleared long upfield. The ball took a bounce and headed over Stevens-Neale, however it didn't have enough on it and he collected easily.

Mason looked to change the course of the game, he introduced Aaron Hollindrake and Aaron Davis to seize the initiative, the pair replacing Clarkson and Richardson.

Minutes after Alistair Morgan came on for Joe Mason to put some fresh legs alongside Toby Jeffrey on the right flank, who was solid if not spectacular down that side.

Then came the equaliser, typical quick feet and battling from Angus Maney down the left hand side led to the ball breaking for Briggs who poked the ball past the keeper for 1-1, with 20 minutes still on the clock.

The it was Lower Breck who managed to wake themselves up, a couple of headers didn't test the backline or the goalkeeper, though, as Steeton looked to see out the draw.

Except for a couple of corners, that was how it ended. A much-improved performance and a valuable point for the Chevrons.

Man of the match Stevie Pearson and his defensive partner Sam Rooke received home plaudits for another solid performance.

Steeton: Stevens-Neale, Mason (Morgan 66), Rooke, Pearson, Scott, Richardson (Davis 65), Jeffrey, Rawcliffe, Briggs, Clarkson (65), Maney. Sub not used: Hird