Silsden 0

Barnoldswick Town 1

SILSDEN entertained rivals Barnoldswick United in the 'West Riding Derby' on Boxing Day in the Hallmark Security League Premier Division, hoping to recover from a disastrous month, where they have only won only one game in the last seven, conceding 20 goals and scoring four.

It was always going to be a tough game against seventh-placed Barlick whose squad included numerous players who had played for Silsden.

The home side were given a massive helping hand when Barlick’s Nathan Emery was dismissed in the 30th minute for a challenge on Matty Moses. With 10 men, Barlick defended well with Shaun Airey outstanding at the back and keeper Ryan Livesey supreme in the visitor’s goal.

Silsden had Laurence Sorhaindo making his home debut. Moses returned to right back with Mark Everingham on the left. Chris Wademan was sidelined following a minor operation and Joe Gaughan was unavailable. Reece Lyndon has left the club.

The game began at quite a pace with defences on top. Sorhaindo was blocked in the fifth minute but Airey cleared the free-kick for a corner.

A swift break by Barlick led to a header by Dale, which Jakovlevs saved at the expense of a corner. Livesey dived at the feet of Sorhaindo after he had beaten two defenders. Sultan had a shot from the right saved by the Barlick keeper.

At the other end, Andy Hill hit a ball to 26-goal Zack Dale, who broke past Dan Illingworth and Everingham before being closed down.

Defences were one top with Illingworth and Kaine dominating at one end and Airey and Wilson at the other.

Andy Hill hit two dangerous free-kicks into the Silsden area before denying Aiden Kirby a chance at the other end.

Crorken’s foul denied Kirby a goal scoring chance. But he was not cautioned. Emery’s dismissal was immediately followed by a caution for Barnes for his first misdemeanour.

The opening exchanges of the second half followed a similar pattern. Sorhaindo fed Rhodes who shot but only to Livesey. The new boy evaded three challenges before being halted on the edge of the box.

The Cobbydalers' best chance came on 60 minutes when Everingham put Sultan in the clear. Livesey made a fine save. Silsden had a sequence of corners. Barnes had the best chance but shot wide.

At the other end, Kaine blocked Jack Coop’s effort. Storrie came on and immediately broke down the left. He crossed into the box to Barnes but the former Barlick man shot wide. Luke Rhodes shot straight into the arms of Livesey.

Ten minutes from time, Dale found himself some space. With his back to goal there looked little danger but the striker pushed back on Jakovlevs. The keeper hands were on his back. Dale went down, the whistle went for a spot-kick and Coop scored.

Storrie wasted another chance and Moses went close but Barlick held onto the three points.

Silsden: Jakovlevs, Moses, Everingham, Kaine, Illingworth, Bentham (Rhodes 34), Barnes, Mitchell, Sorhaindo (Storrie 72), Kirby, Sultan. Subs not used: Ainscough, Lee, Forrest.

Barnoldswick Town: Livesey, Eastwood (Young 34), Crorken, Wilson, Airey, Dale, Hill, Coop, Thompson (Morgan 49), Emery. Subs not used: Amos, Beckwith, Vincent.