Silsden 1

Whitchurch Alport 2

IT was déjà vu at the Cobbydale Construction Stadium, as the away team Whitchurch Alport won by the odd goal in the Hallmark League Premier Division.

The two promoted teams met twice last year with the Salopians inflicting Silsden’s first home defeat of the season, 2-1.

Towards the end of the campaign, the Cobbydalers won in Shropshire by a single goal.

Earlier in the present season, a 90th-minute winner from Hancock gave the Yorkshiremen the points but the pattern continued on Saturday with Alport winning 2-1.

The games between the teams have been feisty affairs with numerous bookings and dismissals. Saturday’s game only had four cautions, one for Silsden and three for Alport.

The Cobbydalers were without Storrie and Sorhaindo. Arley Barnes returned with Joe Gaughan coming on from the start.

Silsden were soon on the offensive when Mark Everingham broke from right back to beat goalkeeper Parton.

Sultan sped up the right and crossed into the box but the visitors keeper gathered. Barnes’ tackle on Simon Everall was superb but, when the wingman next cut in from the right, his cross struck the arm of Dan Illingworth just inside the box. Penalty. The centre-back was cautioned and Alex Hughes netted the spot-kick.

Jordan Cole thought he had put the visitors two up but the goal was ruled out for offside.

A foul on Aidan Kirby led to a free-kick. Sultan drove it in. Darren Campion headed out but only to Gaughan, who twisted to the left before blasting in the equaliser.

Sultan was a real threat down the right and Kirby, latching on to a through ball from Everingham, had a low shot saved.

Silsden were having more of the game. Gaughan, with the ball seemingly glued to his feet, created an opening but David Parton saved comfortably.

A move involving Everingham and Kirby ended with Gaughan rattling the bar from the edge of the penalty area.

Both sides created half-chances with Kirby going close for Silsden and Hughes for Whitchurch.

With five minutes left, a superb run by Kirby was halted. The ball fell to Moses who fed Kirby yet again. His shot was sliced clear. On the balance of play, Silsden might have been a goal up at the break. They had the wind in their favour in the second half.

The Cobbydalers were on top on the restart but the Whitchurch defence is rather mean having conceded 11 fewer goals than Silsden.

They were resolute but Silsden did have chances. The best fell to Barnes after good work by Rhodes and Kirby. Barnes broke through but his effort was off target.

As the Whitchurch defence was pushed back, they became even harder to break down.

The visitors were awarded a free-kick on 67 minutes, Hughes was the first to react to put them back in the lead.

Wademan came on for Everingham. Immediately he cut through the midfield but Luke Goddard blocked his shot. One Mitchell effort was easy for the keeper but his second was deflected for a corner.

With five minutes left, a long-throw in reached Rhodes at the far post. He was slow to react and the chance went begging. Josh Kaine flicked another ball into the box but there were no takers. Whitchurch took the spoils.

Silsden manager Danny Forrest was philosophical at the end, acknowledging the 'backs to the wall' defence of the visitors. He said: "With so many players back, we found it hard to create many chances. When the few chances came, we failed to take them."

Silsden: Jakovlevs, Barnes, Moses, Kaine, Illingworth, Rhodes, Everingham (Wademan 78), Mitchell, Gaughan, Kirby, Sultan. Subs not used. Ainscough, Lee, Hardisty-Blackwell, Darkins, Forrest.

Whitchurch Alport: Parton, Minshall, Chilcott (Sanders), Campion, Goddard, Ashman, Everall, Howell, Hughes, Griffiths, Cole (Sanders 70). Subs not used. Bridge, Pickerill, Street.