West Didsbury & Chorlton 2

Silsden 1

SILSDEN travelled to Brookburn Road aiming to get their first points of 2019 in Hallmark Security League Premier Division.

Unfortunately the game ended just as the Cobbydalers' last encounter here had done three years ago, with a 2-1 defeat and having had a forward and a keeper sent off.

In that case it was Josh McNulty and Danny Thorpe; this time it was Joe Gaughan and Callum Jakovlevs.

Despite the absence of Aidan Kirby, Silsden manager Danny Forrest was able to start with a strong line-up, Chris Wademan and Will Storrie each starting after injuries.

Silsden started positively with Wademan breaking down the right but the move ended with the flag raised for offside.

Dan Illingworth cleared up West’s first sortie forwards and released Storrie down the left. The winger’s cross found Gaughan who shot wide. Storrie shot across the face of the goal, having been set-up by Luke Rhodes.

Storrie and Wademan exchanged passes before the ball was slid to Niall Sultan, who failed to get enough power on his cross.

Storrie nearly opened the scoring but keeper Will Jones came off his line to narrow the angle.

The pressure continued with Gaughan hitting a clean strike goalwards, but Storrie was in the line of fire.

It was all Silsden. Illingworth sent Wademan away before he was denied by a fine challenge by Thomas Horner. Gaughan was fouled twice in a matter of minutes. On both occasions John Sergeant kicked the ball away to prevent the Yorkshiremen from taking quick free-kicks.

Still the Cobbydalers pushed forwards. A double side-step by Sultan ended with Jones managing to parry his 25-yard shot.

Finally, the home side managed to break out of defence. They were awarded a free-kick which was lifted into the penalty area. Stephen Hall drove it goalwards but Jakovlevs had it covered, that was until it deflected off the unlucky Barnes.

West were determined to defend their goal in numbers and, as Silsden attacked yet again, there was a melee just midway into the home side’s half.

Gaughan faced up to some opponents and was sent off as was West’s John Sergeant, who had drifted away from trouble.

The game restarted with Storrie again causing panic in the home defence. His cross found Rhodes who headed over.

At the other end Josh Kaine broke up another attack and Mitchell got back after Rhodes had been dispossessed.

Three minutes after the interval, Silsden equalised when Illingworth headed home Storrie’s corner. The centre back headed clear at his own end before the injured Sultan had to be replaced by Mark Everingham. The latter's first touch saw him head over the bar after a free-kick for a foul on Storrie.

Thomas Horner’s 30-yarder into the top corner of the Silsden net, putting West back into the lead.

Silsden responded with two headers but both Wademan and Illingworth were wide of the target. Forrest came on for Wademan. Immediately he hit a rasping free-kick which was pushed for a corner.

Illingworth broke into the West goal area and was upended. The cries for a penalty were turned down.

Kaine made a break forwards and crossed into the box. Forrest appeared to be impeded but the ball was cleared up the pitch.

The Cobbydalers were stretched. With the game entering six minutes of stoppage time, West broke free but Jakovlevs denied Joel Dixon twice from close range. The ball was cleared down field but, with most of the Silsden players in West’s half, Dixon latched onto a long ball.

Jakovlevs came out of his box and clattered into Dixon and the keeper was dismissed. Kaine took over between the posts.

Silsden: Jakovlevs, Barnes, Moses, Illingworth, Rhodes, Storrie (McKiernon 78), Mitchell, Wademan (Forrest 57), Gaughan, Sultan (Everingham 52). Sub not used: Bentham.