Silsden 0

Litherland REMYCA 2

FOLLOWING wins on the road at City of Liverpool and Squires Gate, Silsden returned to the Cobbydale Construction Stadium to face Litherland REMYCA for the first of five home fixtures on the run in the Hallmark League Premier Division

With the Yorkshiremen having lost the last three home games by the odd goal, Silsden manager Danny Forrest was hoping to get the team back onto winning ways at home.

REMYCA were the first to create a chance but Michael Ordish blasted a free-kick over the bar.

Aidan Kirby then broke down the left and fed Luke Rhodes. He slid the ball to Ashley Barnes who saw his shot blocked in a packed goal area. Litherland broke forward and Josh Kaine missed Connor Christianson’s cross which fell invitingly to Ordish. Callum Jakovlevs made a fine save.

The game was delayed for five minutes after an injury to Ordish, who had to be stretchered off the field.

The visitors applied some pressure but it was Silsden who went close, Chris Wademan setting up Joe Mitchell, who saw his effort tipped over the bar by Travis Wilson.

Mitchell fed Kirby but the striker’s shot didn’t cause Wilson any problems.

Niall Sultan won a chase for the ball and appeared to be tripped in the penalty area by Ryan Dobson. The fans near the incident were in no doubt that a penalty should have been awarded but the referee decided otherwise.

After good interplay by Moses and Rhodes, Wademan curled an effort wide of the far post.

The Merseysiders began to gain some control. Illingworth conceded a corner. Jamie Britt headed wide.

Skipper Colin Quirk brought some class to the game with a mazy dribble but his curling shot cleared the far post.

Kirby shot wide, Illingworth headed over, before bringing a save from Wilson, but the game was hardly a classic with too many high balls being hit more in hope than expectation.

A poor clearance by Jakovlevs gave Jamie Britt a clear chance of putting the visitors ahead but he fired wide.

Wademan, at the other end, exchanged passes with three colleagues but was eventually closed down.

The game continued to be scrappy, Whewell hitting another effort over the Silsden bar. Next it was Christianson’s turn to miss the target.

Barnes and Sultan combined but the move only lead to a corner, as did Mitchell’s next effort.

REMYCA had another chance when Joe Powell beat Illingworth in the goal area. Jakovlevs saved the header.

The visitors continued to press. Jamie Britt hit a super ball into the box, but Kaine headed clear then Everingham blocked Christianson’s shot.

Finally the deadlock was broken. Connor drove the ball over from the left. Quirk squeezed it home at the near post.

Silsden pushed forwards but they couldn’t break down a packed defence.

At the other end, Kaine headed off the line before substitute Craig Bentham conceded a penalty in stoppage time. Quirk made no mistake from the spot.

Forrest had words to say after the game. Hopefully there will be a reaction next week when Congleton Town are the visitors. The Bears are in third place in the table and thrashed the Cobbydalers 5-0 in December.