BARNOLDSWICK Town broke a seven-game losing run with a much-needed 2-1 win at derby rivals Padiham on Saturday.

Town welcomed back Lewis Morgan and leading scorer Zack Dale into the team for this important fixture.

Padiham came into the game three unbeaten, whilst Town have toiled to a seven-game losing streak.

Shooting down the hill, Town started brightly and looked dangerous.

Andy Hill, playing at centre half, in particular played the diagonal ball and put Padiham under pressure.

On a few occasions, Teal Amos had the better of the opposing full back and one of his runs drew a booking.

His opposite number was lucky to stay on the pitch when the ref missed a quick jab to the back of the head.

It was the combination of Hill and Amos that caused confusion and panic in the defence and the keeper handled outside the area, giving the ref no option but to send him off.

Padiham, down to 10 men, found themselves a goal behind a few moments later when a great passing move saw Ethan Kershaw released down the right and he squared for Morgan to put Town 1-0 up.

Town were in the ascendency now and created space and chances at will.

The second took 12 minutes to come when Dale saw the keeper off his line and clipped it over him into the far corner.

The goal was his 35th of the season, a record for Barnoldswick Town in the North West Counties League.

Padiham rode the storm and the score remained 2-0 until half-time.

In the second half, Town had to keep going and do the same as the first half, but they took their foot off the throats of the opposition and let them slowly back into the game.

They started to get a foothold in the match and when Ryan Livesey stepped over a through ball, the Padiham left winger centred for Gary Burnett to stroke home.

This seemed to wake Town up and they became more purposeful with their possession.

Kian Yari saw plenty of the ball down the right and Dale created a couple of openings for himself.

Amos then went in for a 50-50 and was adjudged to have gone in with two feet, and the referee sent him off.

This further fuelled the Padiham fire and Town had to be on their guard, but the defence of Shaun Airey, Jake McNeaney and Hill looked solid and comfortable in possession.

Kershaw filled the hole down the left and stopped any attacks and looked good going forward.

Town's best chance of the second half was a one-wo between Kershaw and Dale, with Dale's shot being well saved by the stand-in keeper Benjamin Hoskin.

There were a few nervy moments towards the end, but Town stood firm and earned a hard fought three points.

Barnoldswick Town manager Matt Barnes said: "I've got to say it's a relief to get the much-needed three points, the first half showing from us was absolutely top drawer. But in the second half we allowed Padiham back into the game because of silly individual errors, which we must cut out going forward.

"However, the way we saw the game out in the end pleased me and we are out of the rut we found ourselves in.

"We have to kick on now and get as many points on the board as possible between now and the end of the season.

"The support was fantastic yet again and we all thank you for that."

Town have a tough game tonight against Steve Wilkes' Northwich Victoria, who lost on penalties against Chertsey Town in the semi-final of the Buildbase FA Vase on Saturday.

Kick-off is 8pm at Silentnight Stadium.